2014 Volkswagen Jetta electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Volkswagen Jetta:

2014 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments

Nov 142016

Jetta

Faulty ignition switch. Locks on the "on" or "off" position.when the vehicle is stationary it is hard to turn it on or off because it locks.

- Kyle, TX, USA

Jun 012014

Jetta

Car continues to leak, tire sensor always on doesn't go away, since the beginning of lease terms, all the above mentioned is consistent, while vehicle is stationary, in motion, on street or on a highway. Further, the same occurs with any turn.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Jul 082016

Jetta

One day I was pulling out of a parking lot onto a small street with a slight hill. Felt like the car was stalling but I thought maybe I didn't press on the gas hard enough. The car rolled slightly backwards until I hit the brakes. I tried pressing the gas harder. Next thing I knew, the engine was off and battery warning light came on. A couple of other lights came on as well, but those come on and then go off often so I don't know what to make of that. The next day I was driving down the road and as I slowed down with traffic approaching stop light the vehicle started to shake as if it was trying to quit on me. I pulled over into a bank parking lot to stop and restart the car. Another light came on but it is off now. I'm worried that this will happen again and result in an accident. Not sure what is wrong or if the vehicle is safe to drive.

- Hixson, TN, USA

Feb 142015

Jetta

We drove our 2014 V/w Jetta to grocery store and vehicle was parked in the parking lot while my husband was sitting in it waiting for me to return no more than 20 minutes the vehicle engine light came on and begin flashing and turned off and would not turn back on. We called aaa for towing and an extra battery but the batter was working fine. Almost 2 hours later waiting for 2nd tow truck to come and tow the vehicle, it turned over and we managed to drive 2 miles home and the car started one more time and has not turned back on since. We had vehicle towed to the dealer and the dealer says it is engine problem and we have to pay $396 to pay for repair. We have had this brand new vehicle for 9 months and it has burned my husband back and now it doesn't work.....

- San Tan Valley, AZ, USA

Nov 142014

Jetta

In traffic, the single low tone horn on the Jetta is barely audible. The VW dealer service manager says the horn is standard, and acceptable to them and will not replace it. Is a vehicle horn a safety issue" yes. If the horn does not give out sound which is audible on the roadway, what good is it? why is a horn required for a vehicle inspection sticker? why not just install a bicycle jingle horn" there are horns that are loud, after market. The Jetta horn is weak and dangerous. Plus, it is not loud enough to be heard in a parking lot when looking for your vehicle, which is another safety issue for women at night.

- Manchaca, TX, USA

Jun 142014

Jetta 4-cyl

June 2014 I brought my 2014 Jetta SE to the dealership to have it looked at B/C the airbag light came on & other lights.they had my car for a 1.5 weeks & claimed they were waiting on a new clock spring, finally after me getting agitated they fixed it, the car at the time only had 2000 miles on it.I was told by the service department it was just a electrical glitch and it's been fixed.then August 19,2014, the traction control, tire pressure, etc lights came on when I was backing down my driveway, I emailed the service tech asking if I needed air in my tires he said no to then turn the car off and turn it on, that should resolve the problem.he then said if it happens again to drop the car off at the dealership.September 3,2014 the lights came back on and this time I demanded to bring my car in.my breaks were squeaking, all the lights from before where on & the back tires were making squealing noises, it only had 3750 miles on it.they had my car again over a week and came back with excuses, they said they were waiting for VW to give them the software update, they have 5 other cars that have also been waiting for the update.after me yelling and emailing everyone & going there myself to demand my car.they say VW hasn't release the update but they will dial it into my car.this is a serious safety concern and they are sitting on the fix.I then took my car to another dealership, meanwhile they deleted the error code so the traction etc lights are off.the other dealership said they couldn't give me a loaner car B/C VW wouldn't reimburse them unless the car gave them an error.I told them to call VW and get the error, they told me they couldn't. I would need to drive the car until the lights came back on and they could get an error code from the car.meanwhile a week later I'm still trying to find a dealership in atlanta with a loaner car & can fix my defective car.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jun 012014

Jetta

The contact owns a 2014 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that while driving at 35 mph, the brakes and steering wheel seized and excessive force was required on the steering wheel. The contact mentioned that the battery and the no key warning lights illuminated. The failure occurred on several occasions. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the battery and the alternator needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 4,000.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 042014

Jetta 4-cyl

The car presented problems in the month of July. Stopping at a red light the car is completely turned off, also the cell phone charger not working, this happened three times unfortunately not had the time to take it to the dealer. No light at the board of any problem warned. Turned off and turned on the car again and went back to work. I made an appointment with the service department told me to take it on Monday, August 4 at 10:30 am, I waited until 1:30 pm. They didn't give another car for go my job. They said they had called the same Volkswagen and they could not find the problem. They gave me the car without solving the problem because it turns off only they fixed the phone charger. The car returned to present problems on Sunday August 31 at 7:30 pm. I started the car and drive 3 blocks / blocks and turn right the car turned off, I found myself with a co-Pilot. Turn off the car and turned it on like I used to, yes it worked, but it light seat belt and air bags began ringing since we had not recognized belts. Turn off the engine and turned on 4 occasions but the problem was not resolved. I had to be with this annoying noise during Monday (labor day). I come back on Friday 5 September to services department left my car and I need a car to get my job but the didn't want to give me when I told her that explain in a paper that there isnot a car for me she asked me to wait a moment and suddenly I got a 2015 Nissan Altima, but could handle only in New York I can not leave this area. I call wolkswagen 800-822-8987 because I want come back my money because the car presents too many flaws that can not be fixed and I will not be a victim of an accident in the future. Please appreciate attention to my order. Thanks a lot

- New Rochelle , NY, USA

Jul 272014

Jetta

2014 VW Jetta suddenly stalled while driving on the freeway. Engine stalled and had complete loss of power, reducing steering and braking capability, creating a dangerous driving condition likely to increase chances of a crash. Alternator light came on. Was able to avoid traffic and get over to side of road and shut engine off. Was able to restart, move car 10 feet, and stalled again. Restarted and drove straight to point of sale (dealer quirk VW of braintree, mass). Dealer had car twice, for six days total. Dealer said they were eventually able to reproduce the condition, but did not find a physical cause. Dealer said they discovered a "software update" was available to address this issue and applied the update. Dealer said the car was then "100 percent" not at risk of having this issue. Two weeks later, on August 9th, car stalled while driving about 35 miles per hour. Coasted to side of road and was not able to restart. Car was towed to same dealer (quirk VW) after hours. No new action taken yet. I plan to ask for a refund. This issue has put my life in danger as well as that of my passengers and the lives of other drivers around me, and I believe represents a serious defect in this car. With unexpected stalling and loss of controls while driving, I am put at the mercy of other drivers to avoid my car unexpectedly and at high rates of speed. I do not feel safe driving this car. I am concerned that the next time this happens, I or another person won't be so lucky.

- Braintree, MA, USA

Nov 062013

Jetta

Purchased car new in Oct. 12, 2013 with 23 mi on it. On November 6, 2013 I was driving down interstate 65 mph and without warning lost all power to the vehicle; lost power steering and brakes. Able to pull to side of road and veh started right back up. Took veh to dealer they said nothing was wrong with the car. On Dec. 14, 2013, veh stalled while stopped at a light with no warning. Started back up after several attempts. On Feb 18, 2014, vehicle shut down again while at a stop light again with no warning. Took to dealer who performed a system update and assured me problem was solved. On May 31, 2014, power port failed. Took into dealer they replaced fuse. One week later it failed again. Service advisor said to leave the phone charger in the port that it blows fuses when pulled out. On July 2, 2014 vehicle shut down on me again while driving on highway losing all power steering and brakes-this time barely able to safely get to side of road. Taking vehicle in again to dealer today.

- Cumming, GA, USA

May 262014

Jetta 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2014 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that she was experiencing some electrical problems with her vehicle. While driving approximately 30 mph the ABS light came on and would not go off. The contact made no mention of whether the failure was diagnosed by a mechanic. The failure mileage was 15. Updated 8/12/14

- Brick, NJ, USA

Mar 212014

Jetta 5-cyl

The vehicle's ignition gets stuck.

- Oxon Hill, MD, USA

May 292014

Jetta

On Thursday, May 29th, I was driving my 2014 VW Jetta hybrid sel premium (~165 miles on odometer) when the epc and battery light came on the dash. At the same time, the gas engine shut off. I was able to get the vehicle to restart. Same issue happened two additional times before I got the vehicle to the dealership the next morning. I picked up the vehicle Monday, June 2nd, from the dealership (~387 miles on odometer) stating that the vehicle was in working order and they could not get the problem to duplicate. The dealership put approximately 200 miles on the new vehicle to diagnose it. About an hour after picking up the vehicle (~393 miles on odometer), the vehicle did the exact same thing, except this time I was in a parking lot. The vehicle is back at the dealer and they are having an engineer come and diagnose the vehicle.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Jan 102014

Jetta

Keyfob is not working properly. I need to be really close to the car in order to be able to open with the remote control. Sometimes (depends on the place, position and angle) I need to be almost next to the car in order to get it opened.

- Dublin, OH, USA

Mar 052014

Jetta

The contact owns a 2014 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that the speedometer was difficult to see. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage and VIN was not available. Updated 05/28/14 the consumer stated the mileage did not always appear. The switch on the steering wheel needed to be clicked in order to make the mileage reappear. Updated 05/29/2014

- Leesburg, FL, USA

Dec 022013

Jetta 4-cyl

Car was purchased at the end of Nov, 2013 at three county Volkswagen in NJ. Two issues were noticed the next day: (1) remote only works very close to the car. (less than 10 ft) (2) bluetooth audio streaming function never work properly more than 10mins. Car was sent to dealer at Dec 30. I was told few days later: A) new part need to be ordered and had no idea how long should I wait; B)more than 12 people were in the waiting list for the backup car. I had no choice but took my car back since I need a car to commute. Around Jan. 10, I was told new part was received and car was sent to dealer again. Few days later I was told issues were not solved after replacing the part and further assistance was needed from Volkswagen. I was told the assistance from Volkswagen still did not solve the problem and "other kind" of further assistance was needed from Volkswagen at Jan. 16. I had to wait longer. I was told "other kind" of further assistance from Volkswagen did not solve the problem neither and the dealer had no idea what they can do except waiting. I had no choice but took my car back again. Till now, the car has been in dealer more than 3 weeks which I only had owned this car 8 weeks, and these issues are still there.

- Harrison, NJ, USA