2013 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid:

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid Owner Comments

May 112016

Jetta Hybrid

I'm really frustrated here with Volkswagen it seems like every since the beginning of the year January the car's been in the shop more than I've been at the doctor. At first it was the water pump for the turbo they had to be replaced then two weeks after I got that repaired it was the brake sensor then a week after that it was the vacuum pump for the brakes, and the work doesn't stop from there it seems like from there I had to get a repair kit it's a seal that goes between the transmission and the engine including the dual clutch for the hybrid and engine transmission. As of today May 13th 2016 I was just told that Volkswagen is going ahead and replace the entire complete transmission because the same error code came up from the last repairs that were done there's been roughly around $12,000 repairs either paid by the insurance extended warranty or Volkswagen. I've paid out of pocket roughly around $500 plus rental insurance that I had to get because of get another car to move around. I have filed several complaints with Volkswagen of America to have the car replaced buy them and they continue to deny left and right saying that I should be going through the warranty repairs. It seems like no matter what repairs are done to have the transmission repaired and 4000 miles later the same problem occurs there's definitely a safety concern there in the safety concern is that I can't drive far enough or take a small little vacation with the family without having some type of concerned if my vehicles in it died in the middle of the road.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Nov 172015

Jetta Hybrid

The brakes constantly squeal when braking. I have complained to South coast santa ana VW 3 times and brought the car in and they insist there is nothing wrong with the brakes and that it's just part of the material they manufacture the brakes with. They claim that the squealing is normal and caused by brake dust. The result of the faulty brakes is loss in stopping power. The car also has been lunging or what feels like slipping gears when I accelerate or decelerate. It 's a sudden loss of power when driving on both surface streets and stop and go traffic that creates an unsafe driving condition. The condition seems to persist more when starting from a cold start. Volkswagen South coast dealer in santa ana claims to be unable to replicate the issue, but I have been able to replicate it countless times as well as other drivers.

- Orange, CA, USA

Oct 292015

Jetta Hybrid

At 45 miles per hour on a four lane street the engine turned off. The car continued to function on lithium ion battery with epc and battery icons lit, until the charge went to zero and all electrical functions including gauges ceased. The car was dead but rolling. I had a quarter mile with no traffic in front of me to stop, luckily I did 15 feet before a red light at an intersection. After missing two lights I was able to restart and drive with diminished performance (little power) to my dealership that was 1 mile away. This is not how my service invoice was written up. In writing they put "stalled at light". I am attaching an email from the service manager stating that no problems could be found.

- Sewell, NJ, USA

Aug 212013

Jetta Hybrid

On the freeway, I slammed on the brakes, as there was an accident in front of me, and the regenerative brakes did not activate when slamming on the brakes. The standard ABS disk brakes, without regenerative braking, are not sufficient enough to stop the vehicle in an emergency instance such as this. This is either an issue with the regenerative brakes initializing when they are needed (which is a known issue with the hybrid model of the 2013 Volkswagen jetta), or the standard anti-lock disk brakes not being sufficient enough to stop the car according to the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and regulations by the us department of transportation. The standard that this vehicle fails is: "standard no. 105 - hydraulic and electric brake systems - passenger cars (effective 1-1-68) this standard specifies requirements for vehicles equipped with hydraulic and electric service brake systems and associated parking brake systems to ensure safe braking performance under normal conditions and emergency conditions" (www.NHTSA.gov/cars/rules/import/FMVSS/). this failure of the braking system resulted in me being unable to stop the car within a reasonable distance for my speed, and I rear ended the car in front of me.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jun 042013

Jetta Hybrid

Hello, the brakes on the new 2013 Jetta hybrid are very difficult to control. When I told my dealer, I was told that the brakes behaved as intended. A google search for "Jetta hybrid brakes feel weird" showed multiple reports on strange behaving brakes. I think this is a safety issue. I cannot come to a smooth, steady stop. Either it is too fast or too slow and I have to slam on the brakes at the end. I think VW should be required to make the brakes on the Jetta hybrid safer and retrofit vehicles already on the road. Thank you for your consideration.

- Denver, CO, USA