3.4

2014 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen:

2014 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Owner Comments

Nov 252016

Jetta SportWagen

I filled the fuel tank, which was not quite empty, with diesel on 11/21. On 11/25, after driving a couple hundred miles and multiple trips, it would not start for many tries once it was shut off, even with engine hot. Far from home, I was afraid to shut it off. The temperature was near freezing, tank a little more than half. I got it started three more times after this and drove another 150 mi. Without issues, and it has not stalled. The car has never been misfueled. On 11/28, started it with 3 10-15 second tries and took it to the dealer. Dealer could never get it started, claimed to see metal particles in filter and took fuel sample for testing. Service mgr made comments about not needing to bleed fuel system, like when they took a sample fuel. Dealer could have caused (more) damage to hpfp by letting air in. Dealer has not seen similar symptoms in other tdi. High pressure fuel pump (hpfp) failure suspected (all replaced in April), VW blames poor fuel but lab report says "observed free water" and did not actually measure it. Lab estimated 0.5%vol vs required ulsd spec of 0.05% vol. Car will not start (but has started a few times after many tries and then runs very well). Dealer assumes it's fuel related but obd code is P2002(dpf pressure) so dealer included that in the $13K estimate. VW consumer care indicated that regardless of replacing the fuel system or fuel, unless I have a completely different obd code, they may use the fuel test failure to deny any repair of any type in the future. Car must drive under its own power for tdi emissions buyback, but they say this condition is not acceptable. I am left to pay for the repairs, with no known resolution, myself. I am afraid to drive it (or that the dealer crippled it) when/if I do get it running.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Feb 282016

Jetta SportWagen

Volkswagen tdi high pressure fuel pump failed, causing car to suddenly stall in left lane of local highway rt-198 in burtonsville, md. I was in motion in traffic stalled as I was coming through intersection at rt-198 and rt-29.

- Cooksville, MD, USA