$3,600.00

1. replace transmission (2 reports)
2005 Volkswagen New Beetle transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Volkswagen New Beetle:

Find a good Volkswagen mechanic

A free service from MechanicAdvisor.com

Helpful websites

• No one has added a helpful site for this 2005 New Beetle problem yet. Be the first!

2005 Volkswagen New Beetle Owner Comments

2011Feb 15

New Beetle 4 cyl

The transmission was only our first problem. The triptonic failed.Then came the catalytic converter, both rear window mechanisms failed, both headlights were replaced twice. Airbag light registered failed. This is the biggest piece crap ever sold to the American public. When we contacted customer service about some of these problems they said they would get back and never did. I am venting my frustration with this horrible company(German Engineering) what a joke!! Please people take it from me Volkswagen is the biggest
ripoff, no class, bald face liars on the planet. Stay away, far away from this automobile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- lrutledge, Arvada, Colorado, USA

2012Sep 21

New Beetle 2.0L

I was on my way to work one morning and drove about 15-20 minutes to the highway. When I was getting on from the ramp and started to accelerate, my car started to make a loud helicopter like noise. It was also shifting very hard. It struggled to go over 40mph and refused to travel over 45mph. My car is automatic, but I could see on the dash that it would not switch out of 3rd gear. After driving like this for about 5 minutes, my car started to smell like something was burning. I exited the highway and came to a stop light. I noticed my car wouldn't move when my foot was off the brake. I then had to slam my foot in to the ground for the car to move even a little. The car quickly refused to travel over 25mph and the noise continued. This is when a tow truck was called. The vehicle was brought directly to autobarn city volkswagen in Chicago. The car was hooked up to a computer that said nothing was wrong. With further inspection,vw informed me the transmission was blown and this repair would cost $4,700 minimum. The service employee and mechanic at vw offered great service. Even though I didn't like what they had to say, they gave me all of my options and explained thoroughly what was going on. I was told to call volkswagen's 800 number for further complaints and to see what they would do for me. What a joke. This awful situation turned in to a complete nightmare once Volkswagen was called. They did not take ownership in the problem and called the problem an "isolated" one. After doing research online, there are many beetles with this same issue. After much complaining and little to no care from Volkswagen, I was told a supervisor would call after the weekend. Well it's Tuesday and I'm still waiting for that phone call VW! This is the absolute worst service I have ever experienced and Volkswagen does not stand behind their vehicles. My advice to other buyers: if you're looking for an unreliable vehicle that won't last more than 65,000 miles then take your chances on Volkswagen. If not, BUYER BEWARE.

- Lindsay B., Elk Grove Village, Illinois, USA