2.6

1998 Volkswagen Passat suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Volkswagen Passat:

1998 Volkswagen Passat Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

May 012000

Passat

A creaking noise that has steadily become worse. I waited until my 25K mileage checkup for dealer to look at it, and he informed me of the weakened lower control arms. Mechanic tells me it will steadily get worse and will need to be replaced. Cost $940. Warranty expired at 24K miles and 5/30/00. I had brought my car in at 24,498 miles on 6/7/00..again because I didn't realize the extent of the problem (this has never happened to me before) and thought it would be an easy fix at the 25K checkup. Dealer will not cover cost unless VW America authorizes it since it is 'officially' past the warranty dates & mileage when I brought it in. I've researched this problem with other '98 Passat owners on the internet (VW vortex forums) and this is a recurring problem among many owners. I plan to call VW America to lobby an exception to my warranty.

- Arlington, MA, USA