1. put new panel on (1 reports)
2002 Volkswagen Passat accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Volkswagen Passat:

2002 Volkswagen Passat Owner Comments

Apr 052009

Passat GLS 1.8L Turbo

Hello...The other day I was driving home and heard this horrible scraping sound...So I decided to investigate....I found that the annoying panel that you have to remove when changing oil was hanging down....I was on the side of a busy motorway and couldn't pull it off...So i decided to drive the rest of the way with this lovely scraping noise...I was almost home and I hit a large dip in the road....The scraping intensified!!...the panel was now dragging in multiple the panel is ruined...i looked around online and found that those flimsy pieces of can cost $130 or $200 if you have it "professionally" mounted...hahah...I live by many scrapyards, so ill buy one there and put it on myself..HOWEVER..I asked VW if i had to have an undersheild..(this is the first car i've owned that actually has one)...They said that it is mainly for acoustic/appearance purposes and that it doesn't really damn well matter as long as I am mindful about what i drive over...(no more running over my neighbors cats i suppose)...I am kidding..I've also heard that those panels can make it harder for heat to escape the engine compartment...So seeing that my engine has a turbo...I've been wondering if maybe im better off without that panel....What do you say?

- , New Carlisle, IN, USA