$1,200.00

1. replace thermostat and water pump (1 reports)
2002 Volkswagen Passat cooling system problems

cooling system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Volkswagen Passat:

2002 Volkswagen Passat Owner Comments

Aug 012009

Passat 1.8t

We're driving on the tollway in August, and I notice the temperature gauge start to creep up, which had never happened before. Within ninety seconds, the red display reads something like "STOP VEHICLE IMMEDIATELY." I pull over and stop, and the temperature gauge shot into the red (probably because there was no air moving across the radiator now). I pulled out the owner's manual, and learned that the cooling system on this stupid car is sealed, meaning you can't add coolant. We sat there until the temperature dropped below the red, then limped to a nearby dealership. The thermostat had gone bad at only 58,000 miles. They strongly recommended replacing the water pump as well, since they had to take it off anyway to get to the thermostat. I also had them replace the timing belt 2000 miles early (since that had to come off too), and replace the motor mounts that had been leaking since 45,000 miles (since they had to raise the engine to get to the cooling parts). Total bill: $2100.

- , Dallas, TX, USA