2002 Volkswagen Passat drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Volkswagen Passat:

2002 Volkswagen Passat Owner Comments

Feb 102016

I started my car and proceeded to drive down around city streets for about 5 minutes. I was going speed limit(25-30 mph) during a cool night(60). I stopped at a red light and then my temperature gauge spiked(car was slightly below normal temperature prior(190; according to gauge); this gauge spike was followed by a battery indicator light which simultaneously cut off my engine. My car became immobile and I lost brake and steering function. However, my radio and car lights still worked! luckily there was no surrounding cars and my parking brake was functional. I then turned off the car, waited a few minutes and attempted to turn over the engine once more. It did start however I am worried this may happen again under less forgiving circumstances.

- Whittier, CA, USA

Feb 012012

Passat 8-cyl

Torque converter failed. The ABS module is bad. 02 sensors are bad.

- Puyallup, WA, USA

Mar 042008

Passat 6-cyl

3 1/2 months after purchasing my 2002 VW Passat, I was driving on the highway went my oil pressure light came on with a grinding noise and the computer advised me to shut down my engine immediately. I though my oil was low since I missed my last oil change and was planning on getting one done that weekend and added more oil to my car. The problem never went away and I had to tow my car to the VW dealer (heritage VW). I was charged $1178 for a desludge because the warranty was no good since my oil changed was overdue. After the desludge my check engine light came on and the dealer told me that my timing was off and would require me to pay another $1100 to repair the problem. I removed my car from their shop because I did not have this issue when I brought my car to the dealer and now I have to pay to repair, their error. I would like VW to pay for their faulty engineering or poor workmanship, since the sludge buildup seems to be a defect and not a maintenance issue has they claim.

- Riverdale, GA, USA

Dec 282002

Consumer states that while driving at any speed and without warning the vehicle will not accelerate causing a distraction to the consumer. Dealer notified.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA