4.5

2002 Volkswagen Passat miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Volkswagen Passat:

2002 Volkswagen Passat Owner Comments

Jul 302007

Passat 4-cyl

We purchased a used 2002 Passat and during a storm, the passenger floor became filled with water, coming through the glove compartment. Dealer could not locate entry of water from hose at dealership so we changed to another 2002. On July 21, during a storm, the passenger side filled with rain on the floor but not through the glove compartment. On July 30, the driver floor was filled with water from a storm. But the passenger side was dry. Since this car is only a few years old, is this a defect?

- Hudson Oaks, TX, USA

Jun 272006

Passat

I bought a 2002 Passat wagon glx certified used at lindsay VW in sterling va. I have only had the car 10 months. I had my car washed the week before June 27th, my car is garage kept day and night. We had bad rain storms in the Washington DC area which I did not drive in the first day... the second day I did get caught in a rain storm but it was not unusually hard and I did not go through and large puddles. When I got home I noticed a ton of water had collected on the floor of the drivers side of the car. The lights began to flicker and go on and off... the electrical system was not working... so I called the dealer who informed me this was the case with a lot of their customers and could be a backed up drain from the sunroof. He said to have to car towed in... which I did. I then heard from the dealer two days later who said there were some leaves in the windshield wiper catch and that was what caused the water to pool into the car... it was not covered under warranty essentially my fault and the repair consisted of gutting the interior replacement of carpet and electrical boxes under drivers side etc. That is would be expensive.. parts alone estimated over 1K. I was shaken... he said he had to break the news to a lot of customers... I have checked message boards and this seems to be a very common and costly problem for a lot of Passat VW owners. This seems that if so many people are having a problem there must be a design flaw. I am still trying to appeal the fact I have to pay with the dealer.. have not yet heard from them in 3 days. VW needs to pay or recall and fix these problems. Thank your for your help.

- Poolesville, MD, USA

Jun 252006

Passat 4-cyl

Severe flood damage inside the rear passenger side foot well of my 2002 Volkswagen Passat. Flooding occurred after a moderate rain. Could find no blocked drains in the sun roof of the pollen filter.

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Jun 122006

Passat 4-cyl

Following recent heavy rains my 2002 VW Passat wagon engine light came on and engine ran a bit rough at times. $1989 repairs are traced to a "cracked pollen filter housing" that allowed water to enter cabin and throw off control modules located under the front seats.

- Milton, MA, USA

May 172006

Passat 4-cyl

Clogged drain, for sun roof, causes water build up on rt. Side floor of car, electronic module($800),not water proof, creates mixed signals-airbag fault have serviced-engine lubrication fault "stop engine"--there defect, they don't pay due to "water exclusion"-carpeting $1,400-"water exclusion!!!!!

- Charleston S.C., SC, USA

Dec 012005

Passat

Every time it rains, rear passenger floor is filled with water. Dealer tried to repair line from sun roof, but problem is not fixed.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Apr 012005

Passat 6-cyl

Consumer inquiring on how to gain information regarding 2002 Volkswagen Passat. The dealership where the vehicle was purchased no longer exist.

- Houston, TX, USA