2002 Volkswagen Passat miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Volkswagen Passat:

2002 Volkswagen Passat Owner Comments

Nov 282001

Passat 4-cyl

I purchased my 2002 volks Passat gls. I have had nothing but problems with this vehicle. My radio quit, I had the speakers replaced twice, I had the heater blower motor replaced, I had the ignition coils replaced 3 times (recall), wv campaign (recall), sludge in the engine (recall), the right wheel tire hull reinforced (recall). I have talked with Volkswagen corporate office and have an active complaint number. Their customer service is terrible both at the corporate and dealer level. The Volkswagen dealer in auburn, wa is inept and has put the wrong oil in the my car 2 times. I would like volkwagen to buy-back my car or give me a life-time warranty on the car. Any ideas? there have been too many incidents to list just one. It has been an ongoing problem.

- Des Moines, WA, USA

Sep 152003

Four ignition coils defective - replaced defective ignition - key stuck in car for over nine days defective stereo - replaced twice to date defective electrical - windows and locks go up and down while driving, gas cap pops open unexpectedly computer problem - computer blacks out at times defective wheel bearing - replaced at 17,952 miles defective motor blower - replaced defective rear wheel lining - replaced

- Rosemount, MN, USA

Jan 132003

2002 Volkswagen Passat. **dimsii IVOQ entry posted after 12/12/02 cut over to artemis**770842

- Stamford, CT, USA

Jan 062003

Passat 4-cyl

Loss of vehicle power for the third time due to faulty manufacturer's engine coils. Resulting in another tow to the dealership.

- Bristol, RI, USA

Dec 102002

Passat 4-cyl

Brand new 2002 VW Passat with 2,500 miles - ignition coil failed. Car was towed to dealership and was not repaired for 21 days. Only one coil was replaced even though they stated all 4 coils are defective. I offered to pay out of pocket to replace all the coils and they refused stating they did not have enough to go around. This car should not be driven long distances and certainly not on the highway knowing full well the other 3 coils are defective and are expected to break -- by tully volkswagon of nashua New Hampshire's own admission. There should be a total recall on this vehicle immediately. Only 3,000 miles accumulated so far and I'm concerned about highway driving! ridiculous.

- Westford, MA, USA

Jan 252003

Passat 4-cyl

My 2002 Passat is less than 6 mths old (5,500 miles) and a coil malfunctioned. My car was towed to the VW dealer where I was told they will replace the failed coil, but none of the others, even though they admit that they will most likely fail. I will now be driving around waiting for my car to breakdown. As a single female, I don't find this to be a safe alternative.

- Everett, MA, USA

Jan 172003

Passat 4-cyl

I purchased my 2002 VW Passat on August 21, 2002. After less than 3000 miles, I had to have one of the ignition coils replaced. Today, at 5146 miles, I had to have another ignition coil replaced. That is two times in less than 2 months that I have had to take my car in for repairs. The repairperson informed me that VW has been having this problem on all of the 1.8 turbos and that it is not really a matter of if the next one goes out, but when.

- Spring, TX, USA

Jan 132003

Ignition coil failure after 7 months and 11000 miles.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 072002

Passat 4WD

Only 1 month after fixing the same problem, the system shorted out again, leaving the climate control system, the cruise control, garage door opener, and other items inoperative.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Apr 202002

Vehicle has had the check engine warning light on three times. The dealer states that Volkswagen has a problem with 2002 computer in Passats. Dealer states Volkswagen must write new computer code to remedy this problem. I have been told that this will take up to two weeks. I was not informed at the time of purchase that a problem existed in 2002 Passat software.

- Toledo, OH, USA