2002 Volkswagen Passat seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Volkswagen Passat:

2002 Volkswagen Passat Owner Comments

Jan 272015

Passat

Two driver's side airbags deployed when I drove through a pothole on a city street. I have driven into potholes no different than this in the past. There was no other damage to the car or tires. The impact was vertical; I did not experience any side-to-side motion. Cost of repair estimated to be between $2000 & $3000.

- South Euclid, OH, USA

Oct 062011

Passat

The contact owns a 2002 Volkswagen Passat. While parked, the contact noticed that the air bag warning light was illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostics where the mechanic advised that the front driver side air bag sensor would have to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred approximately 2,000 miles later. The vehicle was taken back to the mechanic who stated that the front passenger side sensor would now have to be replaced. The vehicle was not further repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 94,000.

- Carlsbad, CA, USA

Aug 222009

Passat

Failure for airbag to deploy when I rear-ended somebody. My approximate speed was 25-25 mph and all my front components in the car were damaged. That includes the radiator, the airconditioning all the fans in the front and the engine cover. It cost me around 9000 to fix it. But the point is with so much damage in the front the airbag failed to deploy. I have never been in such an accident before and now I feel very unsafe driving that car. I do not know if the airbags will ever work also.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Aug 282005

Passat 4-cyl

Airbag light and buzzer stays on all the time. Prestige auto of santa rosa wanted to charge me over $100 just to diagnose it. According to what I've read, a safety problem is supposed to be fixed with no charge.

- Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Jul 282003

Passat

When vehicle lightly hit retaining wall while parking the air bags deployed taking out the front windshield. The consumer requested that VW pay his insurance company for damages.

- Mechanicville, NY, USA

Jan 222003

Passat

Vehicle was in a frontal collision, but none of the air bag deployed upon impact.

- Mercerville, NJ, USA