2003 Volkswagen Passat accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Volkswagen Passat:

2003 Volkswagen Passat Owner Comments

Nov 132006

2003 VW Passat driver leather seat caught on fire while operating car. It burned through the seat & scorched/damaged my coat. Fortunately, I was only driving a few blocks & had pulled into a parking lot. I contacted VW consumer relations & was shocked at the response. It seemed routine to the manager. They "may give me the replacement value of my coat if it needs to be replaced". I was told that a car would be given to me to drive at no charge while mine is being repaired. I explained that I do not feel safe to drive my car with an electrical malfunction under me and I was told that a tow would be provided at no charge. I will hold VW responsible the repair/replacement of the front seats & warmer electrical system, the costs of a rental or loaner car while mine is in repair, the cost to replace any damaged clothing, & any other costs associated with the incident yet to be determined. It is very upsetting to me to think that I was sitting on a fire while operating my car. What if my coat caught on fire"?" I drive a very busy interstate to & from work. It was fortunate that I was on my lunch break driving a very short distance & not driving home.

- Sewickley, PA, USA