7.3

1. replace (3 reports)
2003 Volkswagen Passat engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Volkswagen Passat:

2003 Volkswagen Passat Owner Comments

Jul 012009

Passat LX

Replaced spark plugs and coil pack 3 times over 6 years…and 20,000 miles.

- , Southbury, CT, USA

Aug 142014

Passat GLS 2.8L V6

This is the second time that I have replaced the ignition coil and it keeps failing. Looked around and saw that there might be a recall for failing ignition coils on Volkswagens, so I called my local dealership and he said recalls were VIN specific and he said that my vehicle did not come up with a recall about the ignition coil. So here I am out of luck and I really am not happy about having to buy another one. HELP!!!

- , Las Cruces, NM, USA

Aug 172011

Passat AWD 4Motion V6

I have had it with my 03 Passat!! The sad thing is, I really want to love this car. It runs so well and is so nice looking, but the last two years I have had problems on and off with its ignition coils which are, apparently, a widespread problem....However, I have yet to see VW issue a recall in this time-frame which really kills me, considering the coils are $500 a pop. You have it go out three times in two years, along with recently having my entire water pump and timing belt replaced....We're talking close to $3000 in damages!! The ignition coil issue particularly chaps my ass (pardon my language), as it is straight up DANGEROUS. My car is sitting outside the repair shop right now, as it has been acting strange recently. It just suddenly lost power the other day on the highway going 65 mph, and smoke started to come out from underneath the hood. I get it to the shop....they decipher the check engine codes and, lo and behold, ALL THREE of the ignition coils are "malfunctioning". I put in a call to the local VW dealer, no answer so I left a message. Tomorrow, my day will be spent trying to get to the bottom of this crap yet again....I have this sick feeling that it still won't be under recall/warranty because it's apparently not "a clear safety hazard". I'm so over you VW, I didn't want to be, but you've pushed me over the edge!!

- , Rochester, NY, USA