2. replace oil tube & screen (2 reports)
2004 Volkswagen Passat engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Volkswagen Passat:

2004 Volkswagen Passat Owner Comments

Apr 162011

Passat GLS 1.8L Turbo

• CVT transmission

I'm beginning to find out just how much of a lemon this car is. I bought the car around 84k mi and really didn't have any issues with it until it reached about 100k (although that's a lot of miles it still doesn't call for the trouble I have been going through). I am one of many VW owners who have fallen victim to the oil sludge issue.

I was returning home with about 100 miles of my trip left ahead of me when my STOP ENGINE light came on. Flashed vigorously and made plenty of noise (that appears to be ONE of the few things that works right on this car!). By the time I got my car towed, called the dealership and my mechanic, I was looking at a nearly $800 expense. Although there has been a class action lawsuit regarding this matter, I am in the process of awaiting a reimbursement from VW granted they decide that my claim is valid and legitimate. If I do not receive a full reimbursement VW will be hearing from me as this is a known problem and something I simply wouldn't have time to just conjure up on my own in order to squeeze out the $800 from VW.

I vote NO on this car and any others subject to this type of mechanical failure. I was "lucky", if you will, because the malfunction did not completely ruin my engine (thus far) but I know mainly others were not as fortunate. I've got a long list of other problems (some also known to VW) that I will be posting on here as well- it just keeps getting better...

Long story short, my car is up for sale now and this is the second VW I've owned with a laundry list of problems that I just don't have the money or time for. I used to love my Passat but it has left a bitter taste in my mouth and I don't care to drive another VW in this lifetime.

- , Tucson, AZ, USA

Mar 012011

Passat LX 1.8L Turbo

I bought at VW certified used 2004 Passat 1.8 Turbo. The car already had an extended warranty and I also bought a Vehicle One warranty. I was driving in the middle of Iowa from St. Louis and the oil pressure light came on and the car started running like crap. I pulled over immediately and had the car taken to the nearest VW dealership. They are saying the car needs to be desludged and I'm going to have to pay for it($2500) out of pocket because my service receipts don't specify that Synthetic oil was used, even though that is what I requested. I never knew the Passat had these issues. If I would have known I wouldn't have bought it or spent the money on the extra warranty that's apparently worthless. Has anyone heard anything else about a lawsuit for this problem?

- , Saint Louis, MO, USA

Apr 172010

Passat 1.8L Turbo

Oil Sump screen is too small, sludge collects and low pressure light comes on. Sludge may prevent oil from circulating thus resulting in seized engine. Great engineering my @@@!

- , Kittery, ME, USA

Aug 282009

Passat 1.8L

This is a known problem with these cars and I was never told by the service department or the salesman that sold it to me. They are requesting all my sales reciepts for oil changes now and Im going through all my things looking.

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA