2005 Volkswagen Passat fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Volkswagen Passat:

2005 Volkswagen Passat Owner Comments

Dec 302015

This is the 4 th time I have had the check engine light come on along with misfire issues. Each time costing me at least $2000 to correct only for a short time. Have changed oil pump, plugs, injectors just to name a few. I love my car but this has been a money pit from day one. VW needs to be held responsible for these issues. Oil sludge, is a big problem too. I just had the timing belt replaced with injectors and a new gasket set up and ran good for two months and now I'm back in the same position of needing the same repairs once again. Car was driving began to shutter trying to stall. Help!

- Eureka, CA, USA

Apr 132015

Passat 4-cyl

Driving home from work and smell gas comeing from vent inside cab next day drove it again and still smell gas even on outside of driverside.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Oct 152012

Passat 4-cyl

My 2005 Passat is leaking gas, location is close to the rear passenger side. I called local VW dealer (where I purchased car from ) along with VW 800 number- both told me there was no recall. I took the vehicle to my local repair place woodys in ankeny, Iowa. The mechanic called me back to tell me that he did believe there was a recall 26E5-R5. I called back VW and he told me that indeed there was a prior recall however the mechanics fixed the car prior and would not fix it again. He told me that I need to have the car towed to the local VW mechanic, pay for the tow, pay for the diagnostic screening to determine if there is a true gas leak similar to the one that was recalled/fixed, then VW would possibly consider covering the charges. I'm left paying for 2 tows now (one to the place its at since they told me in the first place it wasn't covered) and then a tow to VW, plus the diagnostic appointment, and possibly the entire cost to fix it, if VW decides they don't want to cover the cost again. There was a recall, the recall obviously was supposed to be fixed and they did a poor job, my car is leaking fuel out of it (raw fuel) and smells horrible, and they want me to 'check' to see if there is an issue and possibly pay to fix it. This doesn't seem right.

- Johnston, IA, USA