2006 Volkswagen Passat brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Volkswagen Passat:

2006 Volkswagen Passat Owner Comments

Feb 112014

Has I was driven the car will came up with need services soon and will show brake light on and dead systems failed check parking brake and if you press the parking brake button on and off the car will nearly such gears or nearly move at all where if you shout it of the car and then wait for 5_10 min and turn it back on it will go like nothing wrong at all. Transmission has oil and I don't know what it is.

- Holiday, FL, USA

Dec 182014

This vehicle has an electronic parking brake (ebrake) system. The parking brake is set/released by pressing a button on the left side of the dash board. When I came to a stop at home, I pressed the ebrake and the ebrake light started to flash and I was unable to set it. So I disconnected the battery for a few minutes which apparently reset the system and it worked properly again. Then a few days later my wife had the vehicle in town. She got in to leave the market and tried to release the ebrake but it began to flash and she was unable to release it. She called me because she was stuck there and didn't know what to do. I told her to try and disconnect the battery and then reconnect it. She was near a gas station so she borrowed a wrench and did what I told her to do. Again the vehicle reset itself and my wife was then able to release the brake and come home. Now I avoid using the ebrake for fear of that happening again, but now I feel that I'm out a parking brake and I'm not sure if I'll have an issue with it while driving it. I saw complaints on line about people with this car model having the ebrake engage while driving causing immediate corrective steering to avoid an accident! please consider this as a very important safety issue, worthy of re-call status.

- Hilo, HI, USA

May 112010

Passat 4-cyl

Parking brake (button push) randomly engages without the button pushed. Sometimes I engaged the parking brake when I park the car, but when I come back to the car and try to disengage it, it will not disengage.

- Potomac, MD, USA

Jan 182014

Passat 4-cyl

Electronic emergency brake fault; was driving on January 18,2014. My daughter was driving about 35 mph when this emergency brake light started flashing yellow. Also there was a red brake light that was flashing and beeping three times. She got the car under control mind you she is only 17 and she just bought this car from campus auto here in fort Dodge, ia on the 10th and he told her nothing was wrong with the car. Everything has went wrong with this car that can go wrong. She pulled over and read in her manual that with the beeping 3 times and the red light indicator said that she was suppose to get it to a trusted mechanic right away. So she did the smart thing and called me to have the car taken to a mechanic. But what if she would have been on the highway and this would have happened. She would have lost control of this car on a highway. Please look into these Passat. There is something seriously wrong with them. Wheel bearings are bad in the rear. Fuel pump went bad. Coils burn. These are all dangerous things. Please help.

- Fort Dodge, IA, USA

Oct 122013

Electronic emergency brake fault -- it is now the 3rd time my electronic emergency brake has failed (unable to disengage/release). The second time was last June of 2012 the dealer replaced the module, caliper, housing, wiring to the tune of $1800. Yesterday it happened again where the electronic switch was flashing and would not release and also the red brake light indicator in display was also flashing had car towed to dealer. I have read other complaints that have been posted and wondering why this has not been addressed with the manufacturer. It appears there is a safety concern with this electronic emergency brake design. There is something very wrong with this design. Please address this with the manufacturer as soon as possible. I can't afford to purchase a new car but at the same time have a concern for my safety.

- Jackson, NJ, USA

Aug 012012

I have a VW Passat 3.6 and am always having an issue with the parking brake. Currently I am unable to get the parking brake to release and don't know why. This has been going on for several months and the only place I go to get it serviced is Volkswagen. On about 5 different occasions the brakes would not engage nor disengage.

- West Columbia, SC, USA