2.4

2006 Volkswagen Passat steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Volkswagen Passat:

2006 Volkswagen Passat Owner Comments (Page 6 of 6)

Dec 282008

Passat

I was driving my VW Passat 2006 2.0T today with my two children in the car. We stopped for a short break. When I restarted the car, I got the "steering column lock defective" message on the car computer. After I restarted the car a couple of times, the message was gone. When I checked the Passat owners forum, I realized this is a very common problem for this car. I decided to inform NHTSA about it. I will see the dealer tomorrow to rectify the problem.

- Edgewater, MD, USA

Dec 012008

Passat

Steering column lock defective causing the car to shut off very often. VW dealer replacing the steering column and computer under warranty.

- Waukesha, WI, USA

Jul 152007

Passat

Steering column lock failure, 2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T at 61,000 miles, vehicle started shutting itself off one second after starting with no message. Within 500 miles, diagnostic message reported steering column lock failure. Vehicle is 2,000 miles out of warranty (less then 1 year old), dealer insist on replacing steering column, steering column lock, steering column lock control module and the convenience control module for a total of $2400. I have found on various internet forums multiple identical incidents. This steering wheel lock is and was defective from the start and VW has an obligation to make it right.

- Longmont, CO, USA

Sep 112008

Passat

When trying to start our 2006 Passat the info panel shows "steering wheel defective". a quick google search came up with 4 of the same situations in 2006 Passats on one site. Solution is to replace the steering column at $1700. This obviously is not an isolated issue. It's also a safety issue. VW told the dealer they would pay for the part only for "good faith". no, it's a factory defect from the start which is also a huge potential safety hazard. They should be held responsible for the complete cost in addition to a recall.

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Oct 312006

Passat

I bought a car brand new and ever since 1700 miles it's been having electrical problems. First it started with windows not wanting to roll up, they'd roll down first then up. My radio was stuck on loud and would not turn off or down or change radio stations. The parking brake (electrical) engaged on me while I was driving on the freeway, a hose came undone at 18K miles on the freeway and caused heavy convulsing. The steering wheel lock randomly had "errors", the airbag has "errors", the transmission downshifted very rough which made me jolt in the car and started making my neck sore. For every incident my car has been to the dealer to be fixed, they fix the problem and a new one happens a week later. I am a valet and other VW owners say the same things happen to their cars. So I know I have a legit complaint here.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA