2.6

2009 Volkswagen Passat engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Volkswagen Passat:

2009 Volkswagen Passat Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jun 282013

Passat 4-cyl

Traveling at posted speed limit on local highway when the engine lost power, battery light illuminated, A/C stopped blowing altogether. Vehicle was traveling up slight incline so vehicle pulled into nearest parking lot off of highway. Once vehicle pulled into parking lot it was turned off and the key removed. Attempted to re-start vehicle, engine would turn over but would not start. Removed key from vehicle, exited vehicle and noticed smoke coming from underneath hood. Raised hood and found top left rear engine cover and surrounding plastic tubing as well as the fabric on the underside of the hood on fire. Fire department was called but fire was extinguished prior to their arrival. Vehicle towed to local VW dealership and awaiting insurance adjuster and VW to assess damages.

- Newton, NC, USA

May 242013

Passat 4-cyl

As we were approaching a stop sign the engine hesitated or stuttered as we came to a stop. As I attempted to start again, the engine hesitated, I noticed that the engine light had come on, smoke was coming out from under the hood. I pulled over and opened the hood to find the top left rear of the engine cover on fire. I called 911 and the fire department arrived to extinguish the fire which had by then consumed most of the plastic components on top and rear of the engine.

- Adrian, MI, USA

Jan 302013

Passat

I have a VW Passat cc 2.0 turbo 2009. I was driving down the highway at 60 miles when suddenly the car under the speed to 30 M. almost I have an accident with other drivers. I went to VW dealer and the problem I had was the ignition coil. The VW warranty did not cover the damage and I have to pay for it being that this is a manufacturing defect of these models of cars. Here I am sending you a New York times article where he talks about this situation. wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/31/ignition-coil-problem-identified-on-nearly-500000-VW-Passats/

- Miami, FL, USA

Nov 142011

Passat 4-cyl

There are 3 complaints. I have purchased 2 Volkswagen Passats in 2009. One is working fine except windshield tank leak, and the other one has the leakage and at the same time an engine problem. I would like to recall the other one of which I have registered with vehicle id here followed by the below reasons and requests. 1. windshield tank leakage since there was no accident and it naturally leaked. 2. on the 17th of November 2011, the car suddenly stopped and exhaled black smoke and I could not drive any more. I definitely stopped and called a wreck car and went directly to the dealer. The dealer reported as steering column module problem. (also mentioned about injector ) 3. on the 14th of September 2012, I was on my way to work and quite far away from the company, the car suddenly stopped with the same problem as 2011. I was late for work for sure and it was almost life threatening circumstance because of the environment. I called the wreck car and here is another report from the dealer. "customer states vehicle was driving rough, shaking and emitting smoke excessively: Smelled of fuel: Made it to the dealership and will not start. Check and advise. Inspected vehicle retrieved P0300 random misfire P0303 cylinder #3 misfire and P0087 for fuel rail. Noticed large amounts of white smoke coming from exhaust and strong odor of fuel...)" 4. I have power train warranty for 5 years or 60K mile (which will be the first) and the dealer fixed 2 times for free because of the warranty. Now even the warranty is being terminated and I have no other ways to secure my safety. Followed by the above reasons, I will not be able to drive this car which I have purchased in 2009. When I drive this car, I do not feel safe and even feel life threatening danger while I am driving because those moments in the past were very dangerous.

- Mcallen, TX, USA

Feb 222012

Passat 4-cyl

Acceleration hesitation for 1-3 seconds when throttle engaged at low speed.

- North Potomac, MD, USA

May 262012

Passat 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Volkswagen Passat. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle's engine stalled without warning. The failure was experienced several times and the vehicle was taken to the dealer several times for the failure. The dealer performed a diagnostic which located the failure at the battery. The dealer replaced the battery, fuel pump and the fuel pump control module but the failure was not corrected. The vehicle continued to stall sporadically. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but the vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage were 62,800 updated 07/11/12

- Evans , GA, USA

May 032012

Passat 4-cyl

This was a very dangerous experience. After stopped at one traffic light, the engine was total shut down when I press the acceleration pedal. Car stopped in the middle of the road right after the car made the left turn. Then I restarted the engine, it seemed normal, but after only 300 yards when I hit the gas pedal, the engine stalked again. Car just parked in the middle of the road. I restarted the engine again, this time the check engine light was on, and same problem happened after the car barely ran over 400 yards. I finally drove to home with 7 or 8 restarts for 4 miles. Then on May 21, I called aaa to tow my car to a local VW dealer. In the morning of May 22, the dealer's service adviser called me that the high pressure fuel pump was broken and need to be replaced. The cost including diagnose is $873. However, around 4pm in the afternoon, the dealer called again and advised that the replacement of fuel pump does not solve the problem. The dealer has made call to VW for the technical support.

- Allen, TX, USA