2010 Volkswagen Passat electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Volkswagen Passat:

2010 Volkswagen Passat Owner Comments

May 012013

I was driving home on the highway when my center console radio head-unit stopped working. The speakers stopped playing music, the display on the head-unit blacked out, the back-lighting for the unit went out, and my blue tooth capabilities cut out as well. My radio has not worked for the past two years, and I am unable to use hands-free blue tooth with my phone. I now have to use my phone by hand if I want to be able to communicate while driving. I've been noticing increased drain on my battery (even when the car is turned off) which was confirmed to be coming from my dead radio according to diagnostics run at an auto shop. I have had to jump and replace my battery twice until I was able to get the issue diagnosed. I am concerned that my battery will drain again from the defective radio unit. When I took my car to the VW dealership, the only option they offered to me was to pay $125 to diagnose the problem and then another $800 to pay for a replacement unit of the same brand. I refuse to pay $800 for a replacement part that I and many others believe is a defective part.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 242011

Passat 4-cyl

While driving on the highway, we switched lanes and pressed the accelerator to the floor while attempting to pass another vehicle. There was no response from the throttle. After 15 seconds or more the car finally responded. Upon reaching our destination, the transmission was put into park, whereupon the engine RPM's began to climb past 4000. The accelerator was not pushed down. The concern is that the electronic throttle is not responding to the driver's input and could lead to an unintended acceleration. The incident has been reported to the dealer and we are awaiting a response.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Nov 302010

Driving on 267 East Virginia in morning parking brake indicator light came then car immediately was unable to accelerate and shut down causing near life ending accident, navigated to side of toll road based on forward motion in car at which time car completely shut off and was unable to start. Vehicle was towed to local dealership. At time of pick up ass service manager at VW indicated they are aware this is occurring but have not issued a full recall. While on the side of the road after almost being in a tragic accident car was almost clipped as it looked like I was a lane. Requested vehicle buyback VW refused. VW was are of the potential problem but has not informed customers prior to purchase or ongoing. Letters for 2009 customers issued. Turning over to legal, explore class action

- Leesburg, VA, USA