4.6

2010 Volkswagen Passat miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Volkswagen Passat:

2010 Volkswagen Passat Owner Comments

Oct 262016

Passat

I have been having electrical issues with this car after owning it for 4 years. It started with the tail light bulb always burning out. I have had issues with the windows before and had it replaced. Last year I paid almost $2200 for window which won't roll down and the door which won't lock, water pump, oil leak and other minor issues. The keypad will lock 3 doors only and the lights won't come on when locked but when unlocked it'll come on. I have purchased 3 batteries thus far because the car constantly drains the battery. I've had this car stop in the middle of driving on major streets and almost got rear ended. My passenger right rear door does not lock and window does not work at all.I feel unsafe in this car because I am afraid that some electrical issue might cause my car to catch on fire. The tail light will work if I tap the outside cover to the light. I have gotten pulled over several times because of this and once I show the cop that if I tap it it'll come on, then they understand. At this present moment I can not open the driver side door from the outside and that will cost over $1000 to repair. I purchased my car in August 2009 and I have 62,043 miles on the vehicle. I do not mistreat the car but it's really not worth it and VW does not want to acknowledge that this is a poorly built vehicle. It feels as if this is was a trial an error model car. I am confident that if this car wasn't as old as it is now it would qualify for the lemon law. I am sure that I am not the only VW cc owner experiencing these headaches but if I am at least I am making it known of some of the issues I have encountered while being a first time and last time VW owner.

- Miami Gardens, FL, USA

Jul 092016

Passat

While driving home (approx 50 mile trip) I heard a loud screeching noise from the engine area. I was traveling on a highway at about 60mpg. I pulled over, turned off the car and saw smoke and smelled burning from under the hood. I opened the hood and smoke billowed out of the back of the engine bay. I looked under the car to see if it was leaking anything and found a large amount of what seemed to be oil dripping from the car. I then noticed a trail of oil from before I stopped the car. I left the car in place for a tow to not damage the vehicle anymore than it already was. It was towed to the VW dealership in town where they diagnosed the problem is that the PCV valve stopped working correctly, which caused the rear main seal to fail and become completely destroyed. They said that the entire engine needs to be taken out to replace the seal and is going to cost $1700. Vehicle did not have any indication of problems before the screeching noise and did not have any check engine light come on during the problem. Vehicle has just over 100,000 miles and VW of America denied to help out in anyway when contacting customer service. Another incident with exact same issue was found when I looked at open claims on NHTSA and many other claims are easily found with a simple google search. I have had all maintenance performed on time and at VW dealerships and was never advised to get the PCV replaced as normal maintenance.

- Mankato, MN, USA

Aug 192010

Passat

Heard a loud "whirring" noise when the steering wheel was turned left or right when car was stationary - like it needed steering fluid - but it does not use fluid. Also having sporadic trouble with the car not starting when the key fob was put into the ignition. VW replaced clock spring, steering rack & pinion, as well as the steering rack 3 times so far. The second time they replaced these parts, they obviously didn't test drive it. Cars front tires made loud noise - like I had on snow tires. I brought it back in for steering noise (still) and now the tires, and they had to replace both front tires due to "cupping" which was caused by incorrect installation of the steering rack. 20,000 miles later I still hear the noise, but now that my car has been "escalated" by VW, they now claim that this noise is normal. I feel that this is a serious safety issue, and do not feel comfortable driving the car.

- Parkesburg, PA, USA

Nov 302010

Passat

Driving on 267 East Virginia in morning parking brake indicator light came then car immediately was unable to accelerate and shut down causing near life ending accident, navigated to side of toll road based on forward motion in car at which time car completely shut off and was unable to start. Vehicle was towed to local dealership. At time of pick up ass service manager at VW indicated they are aware this is occurring but have not issued a full recall. While on the side of the road after almost being in a tragic accident car was almost clipped as it looked like I was a lane. Requested vehicle buyback VW refused. VW was are of the potential problem but has not informed customers prior to purchase or ongoing. Letters for 2009 customers issued. Turning over to legal, explore class action

- Leesburg, VA, USA