2013 Volkswagen Passat miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Volkswagen Passat:

2013 Volkswagen Passat Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jul 312015

I was driving home with my three kids from Utah to Oregon on I-84. While passing through boise, id there was suddenly a loud explosion sounding like a bomb or gunshot. I looked back to make sure my kids were okay and they had a look of terror on their faces and asked what that noise was. I wasn't sure what had happened and then small glass shards started raining down on me through the vents in the shade shield of the sunroof. I thought that something must have landed on the car even though I hadn't passed through any overpasses and quickly pulled over to inspect the sunroof as I knew it had broken but couldn't quite see what had happened since I had the shade shield closed. When I got out to examine the sunroof, it had spontaneously exploded outwards, not imploded inwards. The glass was shattered but was still mostly intact, most likely from the tinting, but it was clearly pushed outwards and not inwards. I had all the windows and sunroof closed at that time. It was about 95 degrees outside and I had the air conditioning on in the car. We were listening to a audio book and not to any bass thumping music. When I called the dealership, the man said he had never heard of that happening before and that it was impossible for a car to do so. Well, it is possible and it did happen and I'm glad that I had enough presence of mind to remain calm and not swerve into other traffic on the busy interstate when it did happen.

- Hood River, OR, USA

Jul 082015

Roughly 2 weeks ago, our Passat starting having increased noise at higher speeds, typically highway speeds. I took the car into the dealership to have it looked at and they determined that the wheel bearing was bad. It seems very unusual to have a bad wheel bearing, particularly with a sedan, go bad at such low mileage.

- Walnut Creek, CA, USA

Mar 172014

Turbocharger failed. Dealer is fixing under warranty. Dealer stated that there have been enough turbocharger failures on the diesel tdi that they are now stocking all turbo parts for repair.

- White Hall, MD, USA