3.5

2013 Volkswagen Passat miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Volkswagen Passat:

2013 Volkswagen Passat Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Dec 012015

Passat

Heater core was damaged by defective coolant from factory.

- Gallatin, TN, USA

Dec 062015

Passat

The heater core plugs up because of flux left in cooling system components. The front windows won't clear because of no heat from plugged heater core creating unsafe driving conditions. VW not covering all cost to properly repair this problem.

- Madison Hts, MI, USA

Oct 012015

Passat

In October 2015 the passenger front door lock began to intermittently fail to engage and disengage. Attempts to switch the lock from the door panel switch and the key were both ineffective. The lock control for the vehicle is 100% electronically controlled, such that there is no means for manual override on the passenger side. The vehicle was taken to the dealer on Nov 6, 2015 and the lock was repaired under warranty. 1 week after the passenger side lock was repaired, the driver side lock began to fail intermittently. The vehicle was broken into on the night of Nov 19 at my residence, as the driver's side door lock had not engaged and the vehicle was left unprotected from thieves. Failure of the lock function presents a safety hazard while on the road and leaves the vehicle unsecured from thieves. Inability to manually force the lock to latch means the vehicle/passengers are vulnerable until the car can be returned to the dealer for repair. I believe this is a design flaw as this has occurred in two locations on my vehicle within the span of a month and online forums report similar issues with the same make/model vehicle.

- Katy, TX, USA

Sep 082015

Passat

Vehicle schedule for 40000 mile service. Engine warning light came on code P2196. Volkswagen did a computer update in January 2015 for 30000 mile service, 23N5 ECM software recall. Oxygen sensor (front) replaced was replaced by VW when I complained it should not have failed. The emission system is in question since the oxygen sensor is running rich. This year model should be added to recall for pollution system not function correctly. This model is diesel. Tdi

- Ocala, FL, USA

Jan 012015

Passat

The steering wheel had a clicking noise for a few days. When making a tight turn I heard a pop followed by the air bag indicator light coming on. After taking it to the dealer for inspection and repair the clock spring had to be replaced.

- Franklin, TN, USA

Feb 152015

Passat

Drove my car to run an errand and when I came back home and tried to get out of the drivers side door, there was a big popping noise and the handle wouldn't engage to open the door. I had to roll down the window and open the door from the outside. After I had the door open and tried to shut it, it wouldn't latch closed and remained open. I had my husband take a look at it and he was able to play with the latch and make it engage again to close the door. He then took apart the door as much as he could to see what had happened and found that the wire cable loop that pulled the lever to open the door had shredded. When he called the dealership they said that they actually kept those cables on hand because it was a pretty common problem and it would cost around $500 to fix. If this is a common problem, why haven't these been recalled? I'm glad that it just happened to me in my driveway and not during a accident or car fire.

- Hood River, OR, USA

Jul 312015

Passat

I was driving home with my three kids from Utah to Oregon on I-84. While passing through boise, id there was suddenly a loud explosion sounding like a bomb or gunshot. I looked back to make sure my kids were okay and they had a look of terror on their faces and asked what that noise was. I wasn't sure what had happened and then small glass shards started raining down on me through the vents in the shade shield of the sunroof. I thought that something must have landed on the car even though I hadn't passed through any overpasses and quickly pulled over to inspect the sunroof as I knew it had broken but couldn't quite see what had happened since I had the shade shield closed. When I got out to examine the sunroof, it had spontaneously exploded outwards, not imploded inwards. The glass was shattered but was still mostly intact, most likely from the tinting, but it was clearly pushed outwards and not inwards. I had all the windows and sunroof closed at that time. It was about 95 degrees outside and I had the air conditioning on in the car. We were listening to a audio book and not to any bass thumping music. When I called the dealership, the man said he had never heard of that happening before and that it was impossible for a car to do so. Well, it is possible and it did happen and I'm glad that I had enough presence of mind to remain calm and not swerve into other traffic on the busy interstate when it did happen.

- Hood River, OR, USA

Jul 082015

Passat

Roughly 2 weeks ago, our Passat starting having increased noise at higher speeds, typically highway speeds. I took the car into the dealership to have it looked at and they determined that the wheel bearing was bad. It seems very unusual to have a bad wheel bearing, particularly with a sedan, go bad at such low mileage.

- Walnut Creek, CA, USA

Mar 172014

Passat

Turbocharger failed. Dealer is fixing under warranty. Dealer stated that there have been enough turbocharger failures on the diesel tdi that they are now stocking all turbo parts for repair.

- White Hall, MD, USA