6.4

2014 Volkswagen Passat accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Volkswagen Passat:

2014 Volkswagen Passat Owner Comments

Dec 022015

Passat

Backup camera/navigation/radio system system does not working in a consistent manner (camera works when it wants to-big safety concern, screen goes blank, etc.). radio/navigation controls are inoperable at random occasions while vehicle is in motion or even at a stop position. Radio screen goes blank even if radio is on and user is unable to control it for up to a few minutes. On 2 occasions, even after turning the entire car on and off multiple times the radio was on but all controls were inoperable and unable to turn off. Eventually the system became operable a few minutes later. Safety issue has been discussed with VW dealer and they stated VW knows about all the owner inquiries into this issue but it has yet to make a recall. My concern is that backup camera does not work as it should and therefore the safety feature that the vehicle came with does not function properly. This causes the driver to go in reverse with only the help of mirrors. If safety equipment does not work properly then it should be replaced. Second, when the system controls malfunction the volume and on/off buttons cannot be used and therefore driver is left focusing on how to fix this issue not on keeping their eyes on the road. As per my discussion both with the dealership service department and the customer service at corporate office, they admitted to the recurring issue for many VW owners but said it had not become a big enough issue or safety concern so there was not recall. My question is if system (backup camera/radio/navigation) is already a documented issue for many owners and does not allow a safety feature to work properly (backup camera) or can cause a distraction for a vehicle operator then why is not a recall. I purchased a brand new vehicle with the expectation that all equipment would work as described.

- Katy, TX, USA

Jan 012016

Passat

Heater core clogged, reduced defroster performance due to decreased defrost air temperature causes decrease in visibility.

- Cameron, MO, USA

Jan 082016

Passat

My car suffered a clogged heater core with 25K miles on the odometer. The result was low cabin heat and an inability to maintain windshield visibility using the defroster setting when outside temperatures dropped during winter. Symptoms occur when stationary or moving.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Oct 242014

Passat

After owning the vehicle for approximately a week I realized what I thought was a slight inconvenience turns out to be a major visibility issue. I had noticed shortly after purchasing the vehicle that in congested traffic the interior rearview mirror causes blind spots. At first I noticed that this was blocking the upper sections of most sedan type vehicles. However on the date in question I was in major traffic there was a delivery truck with a higher road clearance. This vehicle began moving left into my lane. That is when I noticed that the interior rear view mirror was blocking my ability to see the tail lights and turn signal lights on the rear of the delivery truck. After noticing this issue I took greater concern when driving and looking at the visibility. Then on the 27th while driving to a local park the interior rear view mirror only allowed me to see about a small portion of their lower torso. The cyclist was in the bike lane just off my front passenger tire. This was still the issue when the cyclist was slightly ahead of my car. If the cyclist had signaled he was merging into my lane for the upcoming intersection I would not have been able to see the hand signal. Luckily because I know there is a blind spot basically in front my car I was able to avoid any incident. These issues would normally not be an issue as most rear view mirrors have both the ability to tilt (up, down, left, right) however also can be moved around two inches upward, downward, left and right. This is due to the ball joints at both the upper and lower (base) of the interior rear view mirror. However on a number of VW vehicles they do not have the lower (base) ball joint. Thus I am unable to position the internal rearview mirror to an appropriate location. Hopefully I can have this resolved before an accident occurs.

- San Diego, CA, USA