2.9

2010 Volkswagen Routan engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Volkswagen Routan:

2010 Volkswagen Routan Owner Comments

Jul 052016

Routan

Car flashes ABS esp skid control monitor, shuts car off while driving. Goes back off, does it again.locks the car, won't start, then starts a bit later. Cooling system, heater hose issues, brake issues, cruise control shuts off randomly. Could kill someone. Internet search esp volkswagenddefect.comvolkswagen_routan_problems.htm all exactly what I have experienced since purchasing this vehicle a year ago. Afraid to drive it.

- Defiance, Oh, OH, USA

Aug 102013

Routan

The contact owns a 2010 Volkswagen Routan. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle began to decelerate without warning. In addition, the key fob failed to unlock the front driver's side door upon activation. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. An unknown repair was performed on the door lock. The technician was unable to determine the cause of failure related. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 29,000. The VIN was not available.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

May 222011

Routan

I had the following problem occur within the first few months of owning a 2010 Routan. (the dealership told me that it was not a problem, rather that I was not familiar with the way the new transmissions work.) when the cruise control is set near 50 mph and the vehicle goes downhill it will downshift automatically and the engine will increase its rpms, essentially creating a motor-brake that keeps the speed less than about 55 mph. I accepted their explanation and their assurance that it was safe and would not damage the vehicle. I have only observed this happening at speeds near 50mph. However, this Sunday when it happened on a particularly long, winding hill, I decided that I would prefer to manually use the brake, so after it began downshifting I pressed the cruise control button to turn it off. It did not turn off. I pressed the button several more times, but it had no effect. I pressed my foot on the brake, but the vehicle stayed in the lower gear with the engine revving and it appeared to me that the brake and the engine were working against one another. I decided to let the vehicle control itself until we returned to level ground. Once we reached level ground and I could hear the engine begin to reduce its rpms, I pressed on the brake and the cruise control disengaged. This was scary but controllable because the road was dry and the road, though steep, was wide and easy to navigate. However, on a snowy or wet road, this would have been a very dangerous problem and if it happens to anyone else they may panic and do something even more dangerous. Then, an accident investigator will not realize the cause of the accident because, as in my case, the cruise control will be turned off. But the driver will not have been in control of the vehicle. This, I believe is a very unsafe situation. I have not reported this Sunday's incident to the dealer or to VW.

- Bloomington, IN, USA