2011 Volkswagen Routan miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Volkswagen Routan:

2011 Volkswagen Routan Owner Comments

Aug 162016

Car wont start, only sometimes. Just turns over repeatedly, until you turn the key off. Sometimes nothing happens. Sometimes it starts normally. Once it stalled. Usually this happens on the first start, but sometimes it doesn't matter.

- Temecula, CA, USA

Aug 232016

Problem started about 4 weeks ago with car not starting. Would turn over but never crank up/start. Local VW dealer said issue was fuel pump and replaced. Symptoms continued with longer than normal cranking before starting. Sometimes vehicle acts like the battery is dead and will "click" until after multiple attempts it will finally turn over and start. Certain times after having vehicle in reverse and placing into drive it just dies, have to place in park and restart. While slowing for a traffic light, vehicle has hesitated as if to die, but thankfully it has continued. While slowing for a stop, transmission miss shifted into 1st and made a loud bang. Since then at slow speeds if you lifting off the gas the transmission makes loud noises. All of these issues have happened in the last 4 weeks. It has been to the dealership 2 twice and I am awaiting contact via the dealership for a 3 visit in 4 weeks. Since original purchase, I have installed 3 batteries in this vehicle. We have lost all confidence in this vehicle, and find ourselves hoping nothing serious happens if it dies while traveling. This intermittent electrical issue while traveling at speed is a concerning safety issue.

- Panama City Beach, FL, USA

May 092016

Takata recall.I bought a VW Routan in March of this year with 77,000 miles on it. The first week I had it I went out to start it and it would not turn over. I tried it again and it started. Next day it did the same thing. Now its gotten so bad it takes 20 trys before it starts. Now my trans. Is jerking when I put it N taking it in tomorrow so I will let you know what happens.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Jan 102016

Multiple instances. Vehicle shuts off while driving and will restart after sitting for an hour or two. The first instance occurred while traveling on a busy interstate at 65 mph. I had a semi to the right and another semi behind me when the vehicle stalled. Very scary! I took it to the dealership that I bought it from and they could not get the problem to repeat. No repair was made. This problem recurs every 6-10 days. I just purchased this vehicle about a month ago with 65,000 miles on it.

- Silverhill, AL, USA