4.7

2012 Volkswagen Routan electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Volkswagen Routan:

2012 Volkswagen Routan Owner Comments

Jun 162016

Routan

Engine turns over but will not start while parked. Often the car will initially start but then stall as the rps decrease to idle. After that, the car will not start until after 20-30 attempts if lucky. On February 10, 2016 (milage 44,574) I took the car to my local VW dealership service dept. (roseville, ca). They replaced the transmission range sensor. Problem continued intermittently but got progressively worse. On June 16, 2016 (milage 46,615) took back to same service dept. Who now says there is a bad totally integrated power module (tipm). This seems to be a recurring problem throughout the Dodge, Chrysler, and VW family of minivans (VW Routan built by Chrysler). While Dodge and Chrysler seem to have addressed this problem, VW refuses to do so. This module can potentially kill the motor while driving making it an important safety concern.

- Lincoln, CA, USA

Jul 302015

Routan

My family and I were traveling on our vacation to montreal last Thursday (7/30). During our trip we stopped by lake george for a quick lunch where our car broke down. Now at first, I was hoping we could still get it fixed quickly and drive it up for our week long trip in Canada but instead we had to rent a vehicle from the local enterprise and use that vehicle for the entire trip. It turned out car wasn't getting to park properly. VW told us it's not covered under warranty. Also I was told alternator needed to be replaced. Too many issues and $1700+ later still not fixed.

- Green Brook, NJ, USA

Jan 232012

Routan 6-cyl

We have noticed that the new car has being problem shifting gears and have been taking it to the shop several times just to be told that they do not see any problems. May 2013 we have received a recall mentioning harsh 1-3 up shifts and error in the torque management software, which will apply more pressure to the clutch. We took it in and were told they have not received the recall letter yet. At some point they agreed to update the software, however that made the problem worse. The car is not moving and when we give more gas it will accelerate like crazy now as added bonus reverse is not working properly.. manufacture does not seem to take us seriously or accepting responsibilities.

- Tustin, CA, USA

Mar 122014

Routan

The contact owns a 2012 Volkswagen Routan. The contact stated while driving approximately 75 mph the entire instrument panel failed to operate. The engine was turned off and then restarted. The vehicle resumed normally. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 23,300. The VIN was unavailable.

- West Fargo, ND, USA

Apr 122013

Routan 6-cyl

10,000 miles, full warranty, bought new less than a year ago. While driving approximately 55 miles per hour on the highway with my mother and two children in the vehicle, the van lost all power mid-drive. Brakes, steering, everything stopped functioning. Thankfully it was late and my husband was able to coast to a stop. It was one of the scariest experiences of my life. This had happened once before, but not at that speed, and we'd assumed it an anomaly. We were heading out of town, but concerned for safety we turned around. My husband took it to the dealer the next day, where they could not locate the problem. We brought it back a few days later so they could keep it, but after driving it 400 miles, and not able to recreate the problem, they said there was nothing try could do. We contacted VW, who got a regional claims person to go to the dealership, supposedly consulted their engineers, and decided there was nothing they could do. But not before the cs case person lied to us and told us the van had been fixed. When we arrived at the dealership and realized it hadn't been, we made it clear that they would ave to fix the van, or replace with something comparable. We also found at least 12 other complaints on line of other owners in earlier models experiencing the same thing. This is a safety hazard or my family and anyone else on the road with us, and inconsistent with the safety standards promoted that encouraged us to purchase the vehicle in the first place.

- Harrisburg, NC, USA

Apr 072013

Routan 6-cyl

My husband was at a light and pressed the gas to go, when he noticed that he entire vehicle had turned off. Steering, brakes, and all electrical. It took him a while to realize what was happening, but then he tried turning the van off and back on, and it started right back up. He thought it a freak occurrence.

- Harrisburg, NC, USA