2010 Volkswagen Tiguan electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Volkswagen Tiguan:

2010 Volkswagen Tiguan Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Apr 042016

Tiguan

Vehicle left turn indicators flash when turn signal control arm placed in the position to make a right turn. This problem occurs whether in motion or stationary and every time the control arm is placed in the right turn position. I believe the defective component is the entire turn signal control arm assembly.

- Pinehurst, NC, USA

May 012015

Tiguan

Emailed to to VW customer care on 9/26/15, one could argue these are safety related, the fuse box was melted. The engine timing chain slipped & caused engine damage that would have been more expensive to repair than the cost of a new engine. To customer care: We've had significant problems with our 2010 Tiguan - does VW offer any financial help with these (factory defects?) - replace fuse box: $550, 8/16/2013 parts & labor, odometer was not stated on invoice - new engine: $6,866.16, 05/13/2015 parts and labor, odometer 66,539 miles the dealer offered no warranty coverage & their price was high so we went elesewhere - do not plan to buy or recommend VW in the future considering these large issues I have the receipts, will scan & E-mail if that helps - service location: Volks & rings, 13669 warwick blvd, newport news, va 23602 - volks & rings phone: 757-874-0018 jeff stough 103 tristen dr yorktown, va 23693 cell: 757-503-4997

- Yorktown, VA, USA

Aug 112015

Tiguan

Following second time of changing both headlamps bulbs, only one bulb turned on, after opening the fuse box on the engine compartmen, it was discover the 30amp fuse melted on one side of the blade however the fuse its self did not melt inside as its design and the socket of the fuse box appears to suffer a hi heat temperature witch deformed the plastic surounding the fuse.

- Shenorock, NY, USA

Jul 252014

Tiguan 4-cyl

I bought the VW Tiguan because it was rated #1 for safety but the morning of Friday July 25 2014 as I was leaving to work I started my car but the power steering was gone completely. I could drive forward and back but the steering wheel did not move at all as iand the power steering failure light came on in the dashboard. The Tiguan is almost 4 yrs old with 73,000 miles. The age is the issue with this problem. This has me very concern because what if I was driving on the freeway and the power steering failed then" I could only imagine what could have happen. What if my children were with me" this problem is unacceptable, inexcusable and life threatening. This is a very serious safety issue with the Tiguan. At the VW dealership's car shop I was told that they never heard of such problem with the Tiguans. I searched on the web and it turns out there are several hundred 2009-2011 VW Tiguans owners that had that same problem, I got an estimate to fix it of $2,045. I called VW customer service and they where very nice and told me that they were going to see if they could help me with the repair. Next day I get a call from them and told me that they were not going to do anything about it because my Tiguan had more than 70,000 miles and way out of warranty. This power steering problem has nothing to do with the Tiguans age. Other people that have had this same experience and only had their Tiguan for 2 months with 1,800 miles on and the problem keeps recurring! warranty or no warranty this is a design flaw and should be covered by VW. Also in my opinion this is an issue worth a major recall but so far VW seems to be waiting for the first deaths to occur before they will react. There is always possibility that in traffic, the power steering really could go any moment. I am now very scared to be driving the Tiguan it's not safe and I don't feel safe!

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 082013

Tiguan

2010 VW Tiguan, with repeated engine failures associated with power steering module, boost solenoid / engine coils, wiring harness, fuse re-call, loss of power / thrust / electrical panel instability, beginning in July 2013 upon the limited wolfsburg platform. Service was provided by a VW dealership, 16 days prior to the August 2013 accident. The car was not returned to me until October 1, 2013. (almost 8 weeks) a rental car was applied, but there was significant out of pocket expense for taxes / fee's for a 2 month rental. The VW upon return Oct 1, 2013 then broke down again on Oct 9th, for electrical failure again. The car was towed back to VW dealership for repair. I was given a complimentary loaner car. The VW was then returned and then ran without significant incident until March 16th, of which the engine failed for engine coils, and was towed back to the VW dealership for service, the car then experienced another electrical mechanical failure on 3/25, resulting in a 2nd front end collision. I received a not at fault decision on the first accident, per the commonwealth of MA.

- Beverly, MA, USA

Dec 232013

Tiguan 4-cyl

Warning message "check front left headlight". tested the light and it was not working. Purchased a new bulb, replaced the bulb and the new bulb was not working. Tested the bulb and it was good. Opened the fuse box under the hood and noticed the 30 amp fuse (top left corner of box) was burned/melted. Attempted to remove and was unable to remove. In addition the corresponding 15 amp fuse was burned out but not melted. Contacted the dealership and was informed that my particular vehicle was not involved in the NHTSA investigation for faulty fuse box. Researched further and discovered that Tiguan models from 09-12 were under investigation. In addition to the front headlight I also replaced the right rear light which was also out. I did not test the existing bulb on this light. Just replaced. I would like for this to service a formal complaint to the NHTSA regarding what appears to me as an unsafe condition in the fuse box.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Dec 132013

Tiguan

The contact owns a 2010 Volkswagen Tiguan. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph, the passenger's side headlights, turn signals and brake lights failed to illuminate. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who stated that the fuse box had overheated. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number 13V569000 (electrical system, exterior lighting) however the VIN was not included. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Bluemont , VA, USA

Dec 092013

Tiguan 4-cyl

Right headlight and high beam out, right turn signal out, left front parking light out and left rear turn signal out all at the same time.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Sep 292012

Tiguan 4-cyl

Fuse at fuse box under hood melted (not blowing) a 30amp fuse.several light warnings came on after occurrence. Headlamp, marker lights, tag lights did not work.

- Dallas, GA, USA

Nov 132013

Tiguan

While driving the fault indicator light came on saying that the right front headlight was out. After parking for a period of time and restarting the car, the mmi was indicating numerous faults with about half of the lighting on the right side of the vehicle. I took the vehicle to a VW dealer that did a diagnostic test and the result was that a fuse had melted into the fuse block and that was causing the light outages. The entire fuse block needed to be replaced and the total repair with labor was just over $600. I called VW North America on 12-6-2013 and they say there is no recall for that issue on my VIN and that of course if there is one in the future that I could possibly be reimbursed at that time for some or all of my expenses.

- Castle Rock, CO, USA

Dec 192011

Tiguan 4-cyl

While driving headlights stopped working, brake light stopped working, and license plate lights stopped working. Brought in to service and they said fuse box overheated causing a poor electrical connection. They told me it was dangerous to drive vehicle, as if I wouldn't have caught it this early it could have lead to more serious issues like power steering or even brakes to go out. Then on 9/4/2012 battery went dead and had to have it replaced. Then on 10/13/2012 the right side headlight stopped working again, they replaced and worked fine until now. On 11/30/2013, headlight stopped working again, checked fuse box for bad fuse, fuses look fine but car will not start. Having it towed in the dealership. Pretty sure it's fuse box again.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Oct 102013

Tiguan

During a morning commute to work several lights were out on the vehicle. Warning lights continued pop up on the info display in the dash. Half the exterior lights had stopped working. 1/2 of each tail light, 1 of the 2 back up lamps, the license plate lamp, 1 high beam, 1 low bean 1 of each sets of turn signals (front and rear). I investigated the fuse panel under the hood only to find a completely melted fuse (slot 16, 30A fuse). After speaking with several VW dealers, some admitted to seeing he issue some did not. Most of the dealers however had the part available or could get it in 1 day. Not having many options, I purchased the part ($280), and replaced the entire (non serviceable) fuse panel myself. At this time, the issue has not re-occurred with the new part. I still have the parts (fuse block and 30A melted fuse) for review if necessary, along with the receipt front he dealer I purchased the part from. I believe this is something VW should be concerned with and should be taking steps to support the repair, not sticking their owners with the $$$ and potential safety hazards inherent to electrical faults and lack of visibility for the driver (and to other drivers).

- Kentwood, MI, USA

Nov 062013

Tiguan 4-cyl

Upon starting my car one morning, I was greeted with many alerts having to do with the right front headlight, fog light, blinker, brake light, rear parking light and license plate lights, all of which did not work. The alerts continued to cycle through during the entire trip (20 minutes from home to work) and the status did not change when I restarted my car to go home that night. As I was driving home that night (10 minutes into the drive) my right headlight suddenly turned on and all of the alerts went away. The next morning, the alerts were back on and none of the right exterior lights were working. I had the car checked and it turns out the 30 amp fuse in the back of the fuse box was melted along with part of the fuse box that sits around the fuse. It is going to cost me over $600 to fix this problem and this is clearly not caused by normal wear and tear. I've done some research online and it seems that a lot of other drivers are posting about having the same issue with their Tiguans. This is a safety issue since it is imperative to have both headlights and brake lights while driving at night and the melting of the fuse box and fuse indicates there was a small fire under the hood. This needs to be addressed by Volkswagen and the safety hazard needs to be fixed.

- Lake Tapps, WA, USA

Apr 012013

Tiguan 4-cyl

Upon starting my 2010 Volkswagen Tiguan, the dash indicator will begin cycling through the exterior lights, (e.g., right front low beam, right front fog light) noting that each is not working. This issue initially happened about 6 months ago and has occurred intermittently since then. Each time, the lights that have been noted as not operational on the dash have, in fact, not been working. Until recently, the problem would self correct, typically after re-starting the car. However, as of yesterday (11/3/2013), the lights that the dash is now indicating are nonfunctional have not started working again. This includes the right head light, third brake light, license plate light, and all turn signals. When I called my local Volkswagen dealership, a mechanic told me that I needed to bring it in so that a mechanic who specializes in electrical could look at it. When I asked if this was a problem they had seen with other Tiguans, he let me know that similar issues had been reported and that the culprit was often a melted fuse box under the hood. He also indicated that my separate complaint regarding the intermittent failure of the remote for unlocking (but not locking) the car may be a related electrical issue. I have not taken the car in yet, but I will need to do so given the safety issues presented by failing and unreliable exterior lights.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Oct 032013

Tiguan

Upon starting my Tiguan an emergency appeared on my dashboard, a light bulb. Message stated that the left tail light was out. Got out and checked the light and it was out. Then it stated my front right low beam headlight was out, then my brake lights and the light for my license plate. This was the 1st time the car had experienced this issue. No previous warnings. Took the Tiguan to my dealer, the car was inspected and I was told that the fuse box had melted. I asked what the cause was and they gave me no explanation, but did state it would cost around $630 to repair. Work was completed and the system is working fine, but they could give me no guarantee it wouldn't happen again.

- Northbrook, IL, USA

Oct 082013

Tiguan

I started my car and the right side exterior lights were completely out. The dash display said to check 11 different lights (fog light, side light, low beam, high beam, license plate light, etc.). I opened the fuse box and found a melted cap to a 30A fuse in socket 16.

- Jacksonville , FL, USA

Nov 262012

Tiguan 4-cyl

Defective fuse box that melted/burnt. Headlights inoperable this was not a result of normal wear and tear. This is a basic design flaw by Volkswagen.

- Georgetown, TX, USA

Sep 102013

Tiguan 4-cyl

Intermittent erratic behavior of several lights (headlights, blinking, rear brake light, license plate light). Dangerous for visibility at night. After investigation turned out to be a partially melted 30 a fuse in the fusebox (30A fuse at the back of the box). This exact problem has been reported by many other VW Tiguan owners on different online fora, thus seems to be a manufacturing defect. May easily cause more severe damage because of short-circuiting or arcing of 30 am circuit.

- Jupiter, FL, USA

Jun 252013

Tiguan 4-cyl

I started up the car and multiple dash warnings then went off. The epc light, check engine light and the head lamps warnings all turned on. I then popped the hood and opened up the fuse box to make sure the fuses were seated correctly. Upon checking the fuses I noticed the box itself was melted and scorched meaning there had been fire at some point under the hood. I then took my Volkswagen to the closest VW dealership service station. It cost $400 (Michigan) to replace the fuse box, also leaving me questioning if this will happen again. After some investigation online I found that this is not rare. The VW dealership that did the repair stated that this was the 8th one he himself has done. Hopefully this does not happen again. Lights randomly going out is a safety hazard, and could lead to car accidents, injurys, and fatalities.

- Ferndale, MI, USA

Jun 082010

Tiguan 4-cyl

2010 VW le Tiguan purchased new and immediately the back-up camera comes on while driving stating that you can't use the back-up camera while driving. While service tried to fix several times, it continues to date. Water pump failed while driving, trunk hatch mechanism failed and had to be replaced and drivers door lock and window lock failed and new door replaced. Electrical box fuses melted and had to be replaced and the front passenger seat warmer overheated and melted the seat causing full replacement of seat (from the factory in germany). Engine manifold flap failed and had to be replaced. Integrated ipod jack has never worked correctly. Moon roof drain failed causing the inside of the vehicle to have ice on the windows and windshield causing the whole mechanism to be replaced. N updated 9/19/13 the intake manifold malfunctioned and had to be replaced. The high pressure fuel pip from the fuel pump fail as it was leaking

- Harrisburg, IL, USA