CarComplaints.com Notes: VW gave the Tiguan a facelift with new headlights, a fancier grille, and improved performance. Unfortunately they didn't address what gave most 2010 owners headaches --- engine problems.

3.1

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Volkswagen Tiguan:

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 302016

Tiguan

The contact owns a 2011 Volkswagen Tiguan. While driving 45 mph, the power steering warning indicator illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle failed to restart. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the electrical system failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 68,000.

- Champaign, IL, USA

Jul 172016

Tiguan

We have a 2011 Tiguan and the steering wheel clock spring has failed (per the VW dealer), initiating the airbag monitoring indicator light to illuminate. Also, due to the clock spring failure, the horn, the airbag, and all electronic controls on the steering wheel do not work. This is the same reason as for an active recall involving 420,000 Volkswagen, but this VIN is not included in that recall. There were no accidents with the vehicle, and nothing done to have caused this failure. The vehicle was stationary when the airbag warning light came on.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Feb 072016

Tiguan

Car stalled driving on highway speed, luckily no accident occurred it's very common failure of ignition coil on almost all VW models, failure will cause your car to be inoperable. VW didn't issue a recall or at least notify owners of VW cars to change their defective ignition coils.

- Brentwood, NY, USA

May 142016

Tiguan

My vehicle had the steering wheel clock spring replaced at the dealership in Feb 2016 under the recall. May 14 2016 I was turning left at a stoplight when there was a grinding noise and my airbag light came on and my steering wheel controls and horn stopped working. I believe the clock spring has gone bad and needs to be replaced again. Mileage: 87,000

- Lexington, VA, USA

Aug 102015

Tiguan

Vehicle just over 45K and was told the clock spring shorted with no real reason as to why this would happen so early in the vehicle life. The impact of the failure from what I can visually tell is that I have no horn, the electronic console does not function and all buttons on the steering wheel do not work. The console also displays an airbag error, which the dealer cannot confirm if this impacts my actual airbag system. I'm told the over $750+ to service. Given the potential safety impact of this device, I find it ridiculous that one, it shorted, and two, the cost and the dealership / VW corporate unwilling to address the concern, other than to say I am out of warranty. Its very dangerous not knowing if the clock spring impacts the air bag system in my vehicle, let alone not having a functioning horn.

- Pacific Palisades, CA, USA

Mar 222015

Tiguan 4-cyl

Vehicle just under 45K and was told the clockspring shorted with no real reason as to why this would happen so early in the vehicle life. The impact of the failure from what I can visually tell is that I have no horn, the electronic console does not function and all buttons on the steering wheel do not work. The console also displays an airbag error, which the dealer cannot confirm if this impacts my actual airbag system. I'm told the part costs $290 plus $400 in labor costs. Given the potential safety impact of this device, I find it ridiculous that one it shorted, two the price in labor to replace and the dealership / VW corporate unwilling to address the concern, other than to say I am out of warranty. This was a real problem with other models in the VW line up, including a huge recall for Chrysler. I really think someone should look into this issue and determine if there is a recall that should be done here. Very dangerous not knowing if the clockspring impacts the air bag system in my vehicle, let alone not having a functioning horn.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 142015

Tiguan 4-cyl

Last week my wife told me that she could smell an electrical short and feel a burning sensation coming from her VW driver"S seat while she had her seat warmer on. I immediately had her take it in to the local VW dealership service center for diagnosis. This issue is a fire hazard and safety issue as we could not drive the car for fear that the short in the electrical system could cause a failure of the power assisted systems while in motion rendering the car unmanageable in traffic. Additionally, we could not drive the car because the burning pain transmitted through the driver?S seat to my wife?S flesh was painful enough to potentially distract her full attention from driving. Because of the potential fire hazard and safety failure"S we must insist that VW take full responsibility for the repair of our vehicle and reimburse us promptly for our costs and expenses.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Sep 152014

Tiguan 4-cyl

We bought 2011 VW Tiguan SE in May 2011, and this notorious ignition-coil issue happened twice to us already. Below is the timeline & details. On 4/19/2014, we finished the last manufacturer-covered-service at a dealership (3 years/36K miles), and we were told our car is in very good condition. On 5/15/2014, the car's engine light came on and the car cannot increase its speed. On 5/16/2014, the staff of the same dealership as above checked the car & told us #1 & #2 ignition coils were dead. After they replaced them, the issue has gone. On 9/13/2014, we finished the recall service for the car regarding to the fuel bubbles issue. According to the staff of the same dealership as above, the software related to the issue has been corrected, and everything else checked was ok. On 9/15/2014, the car's engine light came on and the car cannot increase its speed again! it behaved exactly the same way as it did in May. We have to tow the car to the same dealership as above. On 9/16/2014, the staff of the dealership checked the car & told us #4 ignition coil was dead. I asked them to replace both #3 and #4 ignition coils this time. After they replaced them, the issue has gone. I also asked the staff, "is it normal to have this ignition coil so often for a 3 year old car" how frequently we have to replace the ignition coil? I don't want my wife and baby stuck in traffic like this time.". however, no answer or suggestion was given since the staff claimed he's not a mechanics. This time, we have to pay for the towing service, parts, and the labor cost (1.5 hours"!). the staff suggested us to save the receipt for future just in case there would be a recall related to this issue. I searched the VW ignition coil issue online and found this website and other resources to file the complaints. Then I realized this notorious ignition coil issue has been there for a while with VW cars.

- Hauppauge, NY, USA

May 152014

- Hauppauge, NY, USA

Apr 242014

Tiguan

Twice while driving, the car has shut off. Once when leaving a parking lot. Once on the interstate in traffick, going under 20 mph. The dealership replaced the J519 module.

- Mt Pleasant, SC, USA

Apr 012014

Tiguan 4-cyl

Vehicle rapidly decelerated from 50 miles per hour to approximately 30 miles per hour. Check engine and epc warning lights illuminated. Engine ran rough and acceleration above 35 miles per hour was not possible. Volkswagen dealership replaced all four ignition coils. Volkswagen later agreed to reimburse cost of the ignition coils but refused reimbursement for related labor charges stating no outstanding recall in effect for the ignition coils.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Dec 022013

Tiguan 4-cyl

We had a partial loss of exterior lighting on our 2011 VW Tiguan at roughly 61,000 miles. We lost passenger side headlight, rear driver side blinker, front passenger blinker, reverse lights, and tag lights. We tried to replace the bulbs but bulbs were fine. I also checked all fuses and all were ok none were blown. We then took the car to an import specialist since the car was no longer under warranty. They found a circuit under the fusebox that overheated and melted. They replaced the circuit and the lighting was restored, however they said that it would most likely happen again. The replaced circuit only lasted about three weeks and now we have lost the same exterior lighting as before. We contacted VW service and they said based on our VIN # there was no recall for our vehicle.

- Fayetteville, GA, USA

Jan 062014

Tiguan 4-cyl

The outside temperature is -10F today. I started the car and allowed it to warm up for 10 minutes before driving it approximately 5 miles on an errand. I parked the car and turned it off. When I returned and started the car, the steering light came on and I lost the electronic assist for steering. I was able to drive the car home but it was very difficult and I will be having it towed to the shop. ** a quick internet search shows I'm not the only one having this problem so I thought it important to file this.

- Aurora, IL, USA

Sep 162013

Tiguan

When trying to leave a parking spot, car stalled. Was able to put car in park and restart car. Took to dealer and a fuel sending relay was replaced. Had the car in the shop 6 months prior for the electrical issue reported multiple times on this model. Dealer said they replaced the high pressure fuel pump. Incident occurred again. Car returned to shop and this time they said it was the fuel pump again. Thankfully this did not occur on highway as others have experienced, but now don't have faith in this vehicle. VW would not help repair costs as car is now (third incident) over the warranty mileage. Would not purchase again!

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 162013

Tiguan

During driving one headlight (left), third brake light, and front right turn signal gave a bulb out fault. Also, the bulbs went out simultaneously. After driving for 30 minutes and then restarting the car, the faults were gone and bulbs were functional. This repeated the next day with bulb out faults and non-functioning bulbs but then reset again after restarting.

- Culpeper, VA, USA

Dec 042013

Tiguan

When I left the house in the morning for work my light-out indicator was showing and I did in fact have a front light out, as it was sunny and nice, I decided to replace it after work, however on my way driving to work (40 mile drive) I had information alerts on my car display that I had lost most/ almost all of my exterior lights including: Low. High, fog, my blinkers were intermittently working, and then even my license plate light. I made it to work and called the dealership, there were no recalls on the fuse boxes which I found an article online about. My car is currently in the shop for a whole new fuse box and the mechanic knew about this issue but there was no official recall on it, I think there should be. I could have lost brake lights too, it could have been late and dark and I could have died.

- Springfield, VT, USA

Nov 162013

Tiguan 4-cyl

Lights started randomly going off and on..it would be left front low beam and right front high beam then no tail lights or turn signal, etc. But after a few mins they would come back on then go back off. It is gwttin worse and occurs more often now and I feel unsafe driving it at night.

- Binghamton, NY, USA

Dec 012013

Tiguan 4-cyl

Fuse box melting causing light system failure while driving at night. Faulty design/metal screw next to 30 amp fuse causing arc.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Sep 282013

Tiguan 4-cyl

While driving I received multiple alerts of bulb failures and headlights, turn signals, tail lights would intermittently fail. Cause was a fuse and socket in the fuse box that melted and had to be replaced. I checked the recently announced recall however my VIN was not included so I wanted to bring it to your attention.

- Lynnwood, WA, USA

Nov 012013

Tiguan 4-cyl

Passenger side headlight not lighting, the turn signal on the same side does not work and the rear drivers side tail light does not work.

- Commack, NY, USA