CarComplaints.com Notes: VW gave the Tiguan a facelift with new headlights, a fancier grille, and improved performance. Unfortunately they didn't address what gave most 2010 owners headaches --- engine problems.

3.0

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Volkswagen Tiguan:

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan Owner Comments

Jul 172016

Tiguan

We have a 2011 Tiguan and the steering wheel clock spring has failed (per the VW dealer), initiating the airbag monitoring indicator light to illuminate. Also, due to the clock spring failure, the horn, the airbag, and all electronic controls on the steering wheel do not work. This is the same reason as for an active recall involving 420,000 Volkswagen, but this VIN is not included in that recall. There were no accidents with the vehicle, and nothing done to have caused this failure. The vehicle was stationary when the airbag warning light came on.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

May 142016

Tiguan

My vehicle had the steering wheel clock spring replaced at the dealership in Feb 2016 under the recall. May 14 2016 I was turning left at a stoplight when there was a grinding noise and my airbag light came on and my steering wheel controls and horn stopped working. I believe the clock spring has gone bad and needs to be replaced again. Mileage: 87,000

- Lexington, VA, USA

Aug 312015

Tiguan

The contact owns a 2011 Volkswagen Tiguan. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V483000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Spring Hill, FL, USA

Aug 102015

Tiguan

Vehicle just over 45K and was told the clock spring shorted with no real reason as to why this would happen so early in the vehicle life. The impact of the failure from what I can visually tell is that I have no horn, the electronic console does not function and all buttons on the steering wheel do not work. The console also displays an airbag error, which the dealer cannot confirm if this impacts my actual airbag system. I'm told the over $750+ to service. Given the potential safety impact of this device, I find it ridiculous that one, it shorted, and two, the cost and the dealership / VW corporate unwilling to address the concern, other than to say I am out of warranty. Its very dangerous not knowing if the clock spring impacts the air bag system in my vehicle, let alone not having a functioning horn.

- Pacific Palisades, CA, USA

Mar 222015

Tiguan 4-cyl

Vehicle just under 45K and was told the clockspring shorted with no real reason as to why this would happen so early in the vehicle life. The impact of the failure from what I can visually tell is that I have no horn, the electronic console does not function and all buttons on the steering wheel do not work. The console also displays an airbag error, which the dealer cannot confirm if this impacts my actual airbag system. I'm told the part costs $290 plus $400 in labor costs. Given the potential safety impact of this device, I find it ridiculous that one it shorted, two the price in labor to replace and the dealership / VW corporate unwilling to address the concern, other than to say I am out of warranty. This was a real problem with other models in the VW line up, including a huge recall for Chrysler. I really think someone should look into this issue and determine if there is a recall that should be done here. Very dangerous not knowing if the clockspring impacts the air bag system in my vehicle, let alone not having a functioning horn.

- Houston, TX, USA