2011 Volkswagen Tiguan steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Volkswagen Tiguan:

2011 Volkswagen Tiguan Owner Comments

May 142016

My vehicle had the steering wheel clock spring replaced at the dealership in Feb 2016 under the recall. May 14 2016 I was turning left at a stoplight when there was a grinding noise and my airbag light came on and my steering wheel controls and horn stopped working. I believe the clock spring has gone bad and needs to be replaced again. Mileage: 87,000

- Lexington, VA, USA

Aug 102015

Vehicle just over 45K and was told the clock spring shorted with no real reason as to why this would happen so early in the vehicle life. The impact of the failure from what I can visually tell is that I have no horn, the electronic console does not function and all buttons on the steering wheel do not work. The console also displays an airbag error, which the dealer cannot confirm if this impacts my actual airbag system. I'm told the over $750+ to service. Given the potential safety impact of this device, I find it ridiculous that one, it shorted, and two, the cost and the dealership / VW corporate unwilling to address the concern, other than to say I am out of warranty. Its very dangerous not knowing if the clock spring impacts the air bag system in my vehicle, let alone not having a functioning horn.

- Pacific Palisades, CA, USA

Jan 062014

Tiguan 4-cyl

The outside temperature is -10F today. I started the car and allowed it to warm up for 10 minutes before driving it approximately 5 miles on an errand. I parked the car and turned it off. When I returned and started the car, the steering light came on and I lost the electronic assist for steering. I was able to drive the car home but it was very difficult and I will be having it towed to the shop. ** a quick internet search shows I'm not the only one having this problem so I thought it important to file this.

- Aurora, IL, USA

Sep 272012

I was driving on the highway within the limited speed. The steering wheel was suddenly out of my control. The car moved left and right, but I couldn't control it. I hit the brake and eventually stopped by hit the guardrail after turning 180 degree on the highway. The steering wheel light was on but disappeared afterwards. This was a really scaring experience. I could be killed. After complaining the steering wheel problem to Volkswagen, since the steering wheel light (orange) disappeared, the customer representative said it was me whom caused the accident. I was furious and insisted on the issue by suggesting to run a thorough check. I waited for more than two weeks before I got a report from VW technician. I was expecting a thorough diagnostic test on the car's steering system, but I only got a short page saying about the car was drivable and apparently nothing wrong, except a noise ( like bearing noise) when turning the steering wheel left or right. VW didn't even do any computer tests or any detailed tests on the car. The noise produced by the steering wheel was once again confirmed that something wrong with steering. Finally, VW confirmed there was something wrong with the steering and needed to change the steering system; however, VW said I caused the problem. This is completely nonsense. First, VW said there was nothing wrong with the steering system; however, later because of the obvious noise, now it admitted there was something wrong and said to need to change the whole steering system. Since there was only a slight damage at the left bumper at the driver's side, and it didn't damage the steering system inside; thus, it must be the malfunction of steering that caused the accident. However, the way Volkswagen dealt with my complaint was horrible. VW tried to push all the responsibility on me and obviously didn't see the whole thing from my side.

- Plano, TX, USA