3.6

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Volkswagen Tiguan:

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan Owner Comments

Sep 212015

Tiguan

The contact owns a 2012 Volkswagen Tiguan. The contact received a recall repair remedy from the dealer for NHTSA campaign number: 14V441000 (fuel system, gasoline). Shortly after the dealer's repair, the vehicle had a strong hesitation and stalled several times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who replaced the fuel pump and provided further testing. The failure recurred randomly. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel filter and intake fuel pump were putting out low fuel pressure. In addition, the dealer cleared the code for the fuel pump supply module and test drove the vehicle. The contact was uncertain if the dealer's repair and the recall repair provided a solution. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 32,000.

- Naples, FL, USA

Dec 272014

Tiguan 4-cyl

We recently (12-23-2014) brought the car in for the August 11th 2014 recall of the Tiguan ECM/air bubble issue related to the fuel pump in the cars. Our car was not experiencing any issues relating to the recall and described, but due to potential issues decided to bring it in to have it applied anyways. Upon leaving the dealership, the car was accelerating funny, and we noticed gas mileage had gone down. Due to ECM being reflashed as a part of the recall, we chalked it up as the computer needing to re-"learn" driving habits, shift points, etc.. about 25 miles later we were on the way home from an event about a few miles from home. We were on a very busy 6 lane highway when the car lost all engine power. It put us in an extremely dangerous position, 4 adults in a car on a busy 6 lane highway. We managed to coast over to the shoulder and to an offramp. The car restarted and the epc and check engine lights came on. The car was able to run, but only in limp mode, enough to get us the final couple miles home. Took the car to the dealership the following Monday. Issue was a failed high pressure fuel pump, needs to be replaced. It apparently is a very common part to fail, and at low mileage on cars, in any condition. It failed after the "new car warranty" but was replaced under the extended warranty provided by VW. Due to it's high failure rate at low vehicle mileage, and the impact it can have on safety, the fuel pump recall from August 11th should be expanded to cover the fuel pump replacement and extend the warranty of the part.

- Goodyear, AZ, USA

Jan 172014

Tiguan 4-cyl

Car completely stalled multiple times while driving. Luckily this happened mostly while driving at low speeds, but happened once while pulling out in a busy intersection. I was told by the VW dealer that I would need a new fuel pump and fuel pump module. Being such a dangerous problem, I had these parts fixed for an out of pocket cost of $889.95. In August of 2014, I received a letter discussing a safety recall (safety recall 24av--fuel pump 2009-2014 model year Volkswagen Tiguan) that matched the exact problem I had originally described when fixing my car back in January of 2014. After submitting all of the invoices to seek reimbursement to the costs incurred trying to fix the problem, Volkswagen customer care has denied my claim and has yet to provide an explanation as to why I do not qualify for reimbursement.

- Groton, MA, USA

Nov 012013

Tiguan

Several times, after starting my Tiguan and backing out of a parking space or driving out of my driveway within minutes of starting the engine, while in reverse or in drive, the car just turns off with it in gear, so then I have had to restart the engine to continue on with my travels. This appears to happen after the car has been running for awhile, then is turned off for about a half hour and then I go to drive it somewhere else, so it is warmed up. I have brought it to my local VW dealership two times now for this issue. The first time, they suggested replacing the fuel pump module, which we did do, however it is occurring again. I brought it back to VW and they can't seem to find out what is wrong with it, but have suggested replacing the fuel pump itself, for a mere $600 or more, which I have not opted to do yet, as I don't feel I should have to replace this costly part for something that seems to be a recurring issue with many Tiguan owners. I think Volkswagen needs to step up and issue a recall on these fuel pumps if that is the case. The vehicle is only 2 years old and I have read of several people complaining of the same issue with their Tiguans. It appears that there is something drastically wrong with these cars, whether it be the fuel pump or what not, but no one seems to know. This is a huge safety hazard as the vehicle just turns off while in drive or reverse in public places, hoping that someone can look into this issue and take the appropriate action to rectify it.....updated 02-28-14. The consumer stated the problem was rectified and would like to withdraw her complaint. Updated 03/07/14

- Rehoboth, MA, USA

Jan 112013

Tiguan

After stopping at a traffic control device, driver accelerated into an intersection, at which time the vehicle's engine stalled. The vehicle had to be placed into park, and was then able to be restarted. The dealership's service center performed a fuel pump pressure test, resulting in a failure. It was determined that the fuel pump had failed, and needed to be replaced. Owner has two of these vehicles (exact model and model year), and the same incident/equipment failure took place with both vehicles during the span of a month. The same part was replaced on the other vehicle which had less than 10,000 miles at the time of incident. If the incidents had transpired on a highway, or other heavily traveled roadway, this failure could have resulted in a serious crash.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA