2004 Volkswagen Touareg drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Volkswagen Touareg:

2004 Volkswagen Touareg Owner Comments

May 282010

Heard a knocking sound from below on my 2004 Volkswagen Touareg. Looked under my car, the middle under carriage was gone. There was a knocking and thumping noise in the vehicle. Thought it was just the undercarriage, but when the part came in and installed it, the knocking was still there. Drove it last night because I need my car; I heard my car have rattling noises underneath. Sounds like there's loss parts under the car. I never took my car off road, the roads on oahu are terrible, but never had this ever done on my older cars. I was researching online and saw that a lot of other Touareg owners have/had the same problem. I'm not going to pay for a default part, especially when the drive shaft and its bearings are the main parts of the car powertrain. I haven't done anything wrong with this vehicle and feel that Volkswagen will need to pay for this fix.

- Waipahu, HI, USA

Jul 152006

I have had my 2004 VW Touareg since June 2006 and have had problem after problem with the vehicle. The catalytic converter went out within 6 weeks of buying the car, the drive shaft had to be replaced, the air conditioning compressor had to be replaced, the brakes have had to be replaced and I am getting another "check brake pads" error again, the tire monitoring system continually tells me I have a flat, the radio amplifier was making a loud cracking so the dealership replaced a fuse and blew the 2 back speakers (which they would not fix, hewlett VW in georgetown, Texas), the auto differential is going out. There seems to be no end in sight for repairs.

- Leander, TX, USA

Oct 142008

Drive shaft support bearing failure @ 62,000 miles. Manufacturer VW does not sell individual broke part but sells assembly which cost $1,100 plus tax. This is common and should be a factory recall.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Dec 152007

Touareg 6-cyl

Drive train failed within warranty period. Also, the module failed within six months of the drive train being replaced. The ABS module however; failed 3 months after warranty expired. As a result I skidded unpredictably on ice and came within inches of causing a serious accident. $1500 was quoted to me to replace the module.

- East Walpole, MA, USA