4.0

2004 Volkswagen Touareg electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Volkswagen Touareg:

2004 Volkswagen Touareg Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 232016

Touareg

The emergency brake alarm was going off more frequently and to silence it I would pull the sping on the brake up. The brake alarm randomly was anoying but not a major concern. I hadn't had any mechanical issues with my car until 01/23/16 I attempted to start my car and recieved an error message the read steering defect and it wouldn't allow you to start the car beyond the error message. I had my car towed to volkswagon mentor Ohio after holding my car for more than a week I was finally offered a diagnosis that the access modular was not functioning meaning the brain of the vehicle wasn't functioning and the VW dealership service department didn't have answer to how this happened they had a $2500 solution to the problem and they were more than happy to assist in replacement of the access modular with there hearty cost. The brain the volkswagon access modular stops functioning and Volkswagen at no fault of mine and I'm charged $2500 plus. Mechanical maintenance I understand but replacement of the vehicles access modular is a repair that I feel volkswgon should cover.

- Mentor, OH, USA

Dec 152014

Touareg 6-cyl

I recently purchased a 2004 VW tuareg in July 1st of 2014. Immediately upon purchasing the vehicle I began receiving a parking brake alarm when I turned on the vehicle. The alarm would persist until I pushed down on the parking brake. I would also receive an occasional alarm for the tire pressure monitoring system. Then, on December 15, 2014 the vehicle refused to turn on at all. The dashboard display had a flashing steering wheel. I had the vehicle towed to a Volkswagen dealership where the technicians looked it over and told me that the cause of the problem is that two cables touched and shorted out the system. After 3 weeks of holding the vehicle, the cost of repair was quoted at around $3,500 to replace some modules. I was also informed that this might be a recall issue as many other 2004 VW tuaregs have had similar problems.

- North Las Vegas, NV, USA

Dec 192014

Touareg 8-cyl

Came out to 2004 V8 Touareg, and it would not start. Mri reads steering defective workshop. After some research I discovered that this is a common defect in Touaregs and one which VW refuses to take responsibility of.it renders the vehicle paralyzed and due to it being all wheel drive, requires special equipment to even tow it. I am furious. This is a known, dangerous issue and no recall for it - shame on you VW. What if I was with my young children? there is no warning for this failure. All is fine and then wham, it will not start, turn over, shift into neutral, etc. You are 100% paralyzed where you are - be it at a gas pump or a remote dirt road.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Mar 302012

Touareg

While accelerating onto the highway, a loud, repetitious bang/clunk from the middle underside of the vehicle started, sounding similar to a blown tire. No abnormal operations noted prior to this. Limped the car back to the shop at 15 mph and found the center driveshaft carrier bearing failed. The service tech acted as if this was common and was not surprised. I have a 1981 Mercury with over 305000 miles and never lost a bearing in my driveshaft. Mechanical parts fail. The worst part of this event is voa's reaction that somehow they are not responsible for a poor/weak design. List of other major component failures with no recall that are common to all Touaregs of this generation according to the company's own service tech's: center differential lock motor fail rear diff. Lock motor fail cooling fans do not shut off, drain battery thermostat housing leak radio failure.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Feb 172012

Touareg 6-cyl

I went to start the car in my driveway and a red warning icon appeared on the instrument panel. I looked it up in the owners manual which stated the icon indicated a steering system failure. Further, the ignition key then stuck in the ignition switch/lock and could not be removed. As a result the truck's transmission gear selector could not be taken out of the "park" detent. This resulted in my not being able to get the truck to a position where a tow truck could access the car until the snow melted two months later. The VW authorized repair center diagnosed the problem as a failure in the steering column. Further, they stated that this is a common failure mode for this model and they believed a recall or campaign was imminent. This is a serious design flaw. If it had failed while being driven the results could have been catastrophic. Also VW markets this truck as suitable for off road travel in remote places, if it failed while I was in a remote area, I could have been stranded and placed in grave peril since I would not been able to roll the truck to an area suitable for recovery or flat tow it if necessary.

- Clinton, MT, USA

Feb 062011

Touareg 6-cyl

Constant repair of 2004 VW Touareg: This vehicle has been certified in all states of the union as being a certified lemon. When I purchased the vehicle I had no idea of this. I have had to replace a fan sensor which is a certified VW defect, but I had to pay for the cost, repair and labor in the amount of $550 and further, the vehicle left me stranded because the faulty sensor allowed a fan to keep blowing thereby draining my battery completely. Rear windshield wiper disintegrated during heavy rain and cost 65 to repair although the piece looks like something a child put together. Front windshield wiper flew off of car while raining, causing me to pull over and be stranded once again. I got stranded again because the VW engine coils burnt out without notice leaving me stranded in blizzard conditions in Chicago. I had to get a new battery but was charged $250 for the battery and installation because VW chose to put the battery under the front driver's seat. Not three weeks have passed and I haven┐T even driven the vehicle but both fuel pumps and the flange module have gone out. I had to pay $1500 for labor, parts, shop and repairs. Vehicle has 91,000 and brakes and rotors have gone out again for the 3rd time. Right door opens when driving although the vehicle is locked, which is another certified defect. Vehicle lunges forward from a stopped position and then hesitates when trying to speed up on the highway.

- Chicago, IL, USA

May 082010

Touareg

2004 VW Touareg V-8 many problems but 3 worth reporting: For no apparent reason passenger door could not be opened or unlatched by using any known means including the inside door handle or outside door handle, electric lock actuator clicks as if the door is unlocked but the door can not be opened or unlatched. Vehicle had to be brought to VW dealership and worked on by destroying the door handle to open the door and perhaps cutting a whole in the body pannel at the cost of 2 hours of diagnostics, 8 hours of labor to open door and probably 2 or 3 additional hours of replacing door handle if body of door is not bent, plus parts vehicle has many electrical glitches including but not limited to intermittent malfunction of air bag igniters....once again having the potential to cause serious harm occupants given the right circumstances this is a potential dangerous situation and has made me lose all faih in this manufacturer. Vehicle lunges forward when stopped at trafic lights and beginning to procceed on a green.

- Wyckoff, NJ, USA

Jan 222010

Touareg

Unexpected and sudden electrical malfunction of the steering column lock causing the vehicle to shut down, unable to start or move shifter lever out of gear.

- Newton, MA, USA

Jan 142010

Touareg

Stranded with a dead battery on multiple occasions as a result of a electrical system failure which VW issued a technical service bulletin on and failed to notify the consumer that there was an issue while under warranty. Updated 01/25/10 updated 01/26/10.

- Ramona, CA, USA

Jul 152006

Touareg

I have had my 2004 VW Touareg since June 2006 and have had problem after problem with the vehicle. The catalytic converter went out within 6 weeks of buying the car, the drive shaft had to be replaced, the air conditioning compressor had to be replaced, the brakes have had to be replaced and I am getting another "check brake pads" error again, the tire monitoring system continually tells me I have a flat, the radio amplifier was making a loud cracking so the dealership replaced a fuse and blew the 2 back speakers (which they would not fix, hewlett VW in georgetown, Texas), the auto differential is going out. There seems to be no end in sight for repairs.

- Leander, TX, USA

Jul 282008

Touareg

Multiple engine light failures for over 4 years. Engine light came on and engine shut down immediately while wife was on the freeway. Very dangerous...essentially no warning. Have replaced wiring harness in the vehicle and have had it in the shop for electrical issues many times. Unsafe handling and acceleration...car jumps forward at stops while it is downshifting. Think the transmission, tires and brakes should be tested. Think you will find they are defective. Engine blew up at 44,000 miles. Very dangerous car..and you will find other Touaregs with similar issues. Should be recalled.

- El Dorado Springs, MO, USA

Aug 092006

Touareg 4WD 10-cyl Diesel

: the contact stated a week after having the transmission replaced by the service dealer, the vehicle was driven 60 mph on the highway, and the engine warning message read "turn the motor off immediately", as the electrical system failed and stalled the engine. The contact was able to steer and coast to a stop on the break down lane. The vehicle restarted and stalled 7 times before making one mile to the contact's driveway. The service dealer provided a number to a towing service. The service dealer diagnosed the problem as an alternator and electrical failure, due to leakage from the engine when the engine was removed to replace the transmission. No evidence was found in the garage or driveway, before or after the problem or while parked in the driveway while waiting for the tow to the service dealer. The manufacturer was notified. Updated 10/25/2006 -

- Darien, CT, USA

Jul 122006

Touareg 8-cyl

I've been having various problems with the electrical system on my 2004 VW Touareg from the purchase date of 08/19/03. The alarm would sound, without cause, the doors would not unlock and various switches would not work at times. All of the problems were random. I brought the car in for repair several times. But, the problems were not fixed. In April 2006, my car battery was replaced because it was no longer handling a charge. The battery change was a warranty item. After the battery change, the electrical problems became more frequent. My turn signals began to act up. When I signal for a right turn, the blinker will click to the left one to three times, then to the right. I told murrieta VW about the problem and brought the car in for warranty service on 06/30/06. They couldn't find a "fault code" and couldn't make the car duplicate the problem. So, they didn't fix the car. I video taped the problem five times, on two different occasions after the 06/30/06. I also have two different witnesses who witnessed the problem. I E mailed the videos to murrieta VW and scheduled an appointment. I brought the car back on 07/08. Murrieta VW wasn't able to diagnose the problem. I feel that the car is now dangerous. If I were to signal a right turn at an intersection, with an oncoming car assuming that I am turning left because of a defective turn signal, I could end up in an accident. I'm not looking for special treatment from VW. I just want my car fixed. 2004 VW Touareg serial# w V G C M 67 L 04 D 002863.

- Fallbrook, CA, USA

Jun 022006

Touareg 6-cyl

Volkswagen 2004 Touareg sport utility 4D has serious alignment problems resulting in premature tire wear on all 4 tires! front 2 tires are down to metal showing with only 19,880 miles. Car has been in for all scheduled services and rotations. Almost lost control of car while driving! also, pre-mature wear of front & back brakes & pads due to the alignment/tire problems! condensation on front windshield that defogger does not remove. Fuel injection recall that on service bulletin stated it could result in a fire if not fixed! tire pressure monitoring system failure, esp failure, computer software failure!

- Newport Beach, CA, USA

Mar 302006

Touareg 4WD 8-cyl

Currently, VW has published technical service bulletin 27-05-01 and 27-05-03 for the Touareg related to bad ground connections at the battery and a faulty batch of ground/positive wires that run from the generator to the battery. However, VW will only repair the vehicle if the car goes completely dead, leaving the driver and occupants at the mercy of the environment they are stranded in. As this is a SUV, the environment could be one that poses a threat to the well being of the occupants. I have opened case # 60111160 with vwoa and expressed my concerns to dwight harrison VW in snellville, ga and have received the same response......the car has to have an existing no-start condition to qualify.

- Loganville, GA, USA

Sep 092004

Touareg 8-cyl

I took delivery of my 2004 VW Touareg on 7-11-04. By 9-9-04 it was having problems. It has been in 6 times for electrical problems, 3 times for the ac, 3 times for the battery, and 1-2 times for other things. Tomorrow, I will be taking it in again for further A/C problems, brakes that catch on their own while in drive, intermittent faulty triggering of tire pressure monitoring system, and a hole that I discovered only day in the fire blanket under the hood. Apparently the engine heat has been burning a hole in it and has burned away a hole right through the blanket to the hood itself, but not through the hood yet. This car has meant time lost from work and an inordinate amount of time spent in the shop and paying for rental cars. This car is a fire and safety hazard. Fairfax county consumer protection (roy seger) had contacted VW as this car falls under the lemon law. VW responded that they would not comply, stating that they had fixed the battery. Their response failed to account for the multitude of other problems...and now this. I have never felt so powerless. Is there anything you can do to help??

- Dunn Loring, VA, USA

Jan 312006

Touareg 6-cyl

My vehicle, a 2004 VW Touareg looses power, the volt meter drops to zero and then the turn signals stop working. All the lights in the vehicle dim and if you switch the vehicle off, it will not start again. The vehicle was drive a few hours earlier, with no problems. This has been a re-occurring problem with the vehicle at the dealership at least 5 or more times in a 2 month period.

- Framingham, MA, USA

Mar 012005

Touareg 6-cyl

The vehicle hesitates on acceleration, and this happens intermittently. While stepping on the gas pedal and the vehicle hesitates. The consumer took the vehicle to dealer, and they said this was normal, but they did say Volkswagen programmed a delay in the computer chip. There is no forewarning, no lights come on, and there is no noise. This first happened on March 1, 2005.

- Canton, OH, USA

Aug 072005

Touareg 6-cyl

I am having trouble with my VW Touareg V6. Since then I have had numerous visits to the dealer for failures in design. Footlight would not shut off when the car was off due to trunk door latch being broken at time of purchase. Tires were wearing faster than normal and the alignment was bad. I was given new tires, however, when I asked if this could happen again, I was told yes and they were unsure what VW would do in the future. Tire pressure light goes on and off at any time. I was told this was a malfunction that happens when you have numerous computer options. It came on after a tire rotation and oil change and the dealer said "don't worry, it will reset itself and go off".radio has mysteriously stopped working for 24 hours at a time. Car has actually been dead on two occasions and has left me stranded. I was told by the dealer that the battery in the Touareg can't support the car and the computer modules. I was told there was nothing that could be done about this as the battery was fully charged. I was told this was a mistake by VW and I would have to live with it. I was also told to not drive in the city as this makes the problem much worse. I was told that they aren't sure how that happened, but simply resetting the car made it return. Cd player would not work, car was "reset". I find this car to be the biggest joke ever made. I unfortunately am over the mileage for the lemon law in Maine (I have 27,000miles on the car). I really think things are getting worse in my car the longer I have the thing. My biggest concern with the car is that there is a possibility it could stop working at any moment. I feel I should not have to carry a self jumping system in a practically brand new $34,000 car. I was also told by my dealership when I stated I was thinking of selling the car, that they didn't blame me as they had heard a lot of people say that about the Touareg. Yeah, I feel really safe with this car. I think it is time someone do something about this car and VW.

- Durham, ME, USA

Aug 292005

Touareg 4WD 6-cyl

Passenger door opened going down the road, handle does not retract sometimes. A litany of electric quirks and excessive tire wear, also jerky acceleration.

- Linden, VA, USA