2010 Volkswagen Touareg fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Volkswagen Touareg:

2010 Volkswagen Touareg Owner Comments

Feb 182015

Traveling 65mph southbound on RT93 in massachussetts when the check engine now and a yellow coil light came on and within seconds I lost power and steering of the vehicle. I rolled without power to snow filled side of the road. Cars were traveling in the breakdown lane since it was rush hour. Called aaa, a flat bed truck brought my vehicle to the nearest VW dealership. The service representative diagnosed the failure as contaminated fuel which lead to the high pressure fuel pump failure.

- Windham, NH, USA

Aug 012014

I was driving home and my vehicle suddenly stopped at 30mph entering a intersection with train tracks. No warning at all other than a quick light on the dash and engine completely shut off and would not restart. Driver behind me luckily did not hit me and I somehow was able to coast my vehicle into a driveway lot of a gas station on the corner. After coasting into the lot I was unable to start my vehicle at that point I became stranded, luckily with no accident. After the fact I did further research and discovered that on Volkswagen diesel engines numerous consumers have had the same failure with the high pressure fuel pump that also would cut out while driving for no reason and leaving vehicle inoperative on the road.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 022014

Touareg 6-cyl

While traveling approximately 55 mph on a highway the vehicle suddenly lost power/turned off. There were no warning lights, no noises, no vibrations, no signs of anything. Vehicle stalled at freeway speed and it had to be towed to VW dealer where I was informed that the high pressure fuel pump (hpfp) had failed. There was no sign of mis-fueling (no gas in tank when tested), contaminants are unknown. It seems that the hpfp is not designed to perform within the tolerances necessary to operate safely and reliably on 'pump fuel' available to consumers; it is mechanically defective and clear and present danger to highway safety. Request engineering analysis.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Aug 022014

TL - the contact owns a 2010 Volkswagen Touareg. The contact smelled a strong odor of fuel inside the vehicle. The dealer stated that the fuel line was fractured and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 35,000. Jcc

- Jupiter , FL, USA

Jul 262014

Touareg 6-cyl

I purchased this vehicle 3 days prior as a "certified pre-owned" from lakeland VW of Florida. I was approaching an intersection and preparing to stop. As I rolled up and went to turn right, the vehicle suddenly lost power. Several attempts to restart were unsuccessful. We had to push the vehicle across a busy street, at which point I called roadside for a tow. The VW dealer told me today that it is my high pressure fuel pump, which seems to be a common failure for this vehicle.

- Port Charlotte, FL, USA