2001 Volvo S40 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Volvo S40:

2001 Volvo S40 Owner Comments

Jan 112016

Car caught fire without warning as I was driving it. Car had 93,000 and had passed va inspection in August. I pulled over and called 911. By the time the fire department arrived 3 minutes later, entire engine was engulfed in large flames. The temperature gauge never indicated the engine was running hot. Usaa removed the vehicle, and I don't know whether they will inspect it for cause, but I suspect an electrical malfunction.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Mar 132013

My car vibrates whenever I reach 60 mph and continues to vibrates if I try to accelerate but stops when I decelerate. I was told it could be a balance problem but why would the whole car vibrate? I was also told it may be worn or old motor mounts, which I believe that more than it being a balance problem. I just need to know for certain so I know what to have replaced and how much I may have to spend.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Jul 312012

The contact owns a 2001 Volvo S40. The contact was driving 35 mph when the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The engine rpms increased excessively as the vehicle stalled a second time. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure and current mileages were 107,000.

- Irvine, CA, USA