2004 Volvo S40 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Volvo S40:

2004 Volvo S40 Owner Comments

Dec 092005

I got new car in Nov 2003 of the year 2004 model. It feels like one has to put foot on brakes all the way to apply. It is progressively getting worse. In Dec 2005, while existing from highway we meet an accident as it did not stop where it was suppose to stop. Volvo dealer top the break fluid during maintenance. But did not solve the problem. We got new brake pads from Volvo dealer and changed along with brake discs in 2009. But, it did not solve the problem. In the morning, it will not break unless one has to put foot on pedal few times. Again in 2015 we got brake pads from other auto part shop of high quality but it does not solve the problem. In addition, I smell gas but could not locate any leak of fuel. Also, steering wheel is very hard and we took to Volvo few times but it is the same.

- Sanantonio, TX, USA

Oct 022014

S40 4-cyl

For the past two mornings my car has no brakes when I first start my car, once I have been driving for a few minutes it's okay, but first thing the past two mornings I haven't had brakes!

- Hardwick, VT, USA