3.5

2002 Volvo S60 transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Volvo S60:

2002 Volvo S60 Owner Comments

Apr 282007

S60 4-cyl

I am appealing for your assistance regarding the car's inclusion in NHTSA campaign 06V-441000. In particular, I have a 2002 Volvo S60 2.4T w/37,500 miles. While pulling out of a parking spot 2 months ago, my car's engine began sputtered, and when I got onto a major roadway, the car suddenly went into limp mode, whereby it went 5 mph maximum. The sudden change in speed almost resulted in my car getting rear-ended. I took the car to the dealer, cherry hill Volvo in New Jersey, and they diagnosed the problem as pertaining to the electronic throttle module (ETM). The dealer said that the ETM needed to be cleaned, and they proceeded to clean it. A week ago, I found out that NHTSA 06V-441 was issued, which addresses this exact problem. However, I was told by Volvo that my car, since it's a turbo, was not included in the NHTSA list, because the ETM is a different design. What I'm suggesting is that the ETM on my car has the same problem as the old design ETM, and that my family could be in danger. From what I've read on message boards, eventually, I will need to replace the ETM at a cost of $1100. Volvo has warrantied the ETM on models other than mine, for 200,000 miles or 10 years. I would like to get my car on that list. Have there been others with a turbo like me who have had this problem" is there a way to get my model car on the affected cars list" thank you, marc friedman 732-323-1603 (day)

- Unknown, AA, USA