1.8

2003 Volvo S60 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Volvo S60:

2003 Volvo S60 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Oct 252012

S60 5-cyl

While driving the dash (not the radio, or other electrical components) went out-completely blank. I lost, the tac, the speedometer/odometer, engine gauge and gas gauge. This problem has continued intermittently and I can not relate it to a given speed or weather. Not knowing your speed is a safety issue and at night it's odd to be driving a car w/out an illuminated dash/controls. I do have an SRS code-service immediately. When I was last at the dealer they had "never heard of this issue" and would have to charge me diagnostic fees. Online research shows this to be a common problem and a new dim ($1200) can fix the problem. This is a safety issue and there are too many complaints posted online for this to be a little problem. What is the R/1000 (repair per thousand vehicles)?

- Plymouth, MI, USA

Nov 232012

S60

The contact owns a 2003 Volvo S60. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the instrument panel failed and the gauges stopped functioning. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 82,000 and the current mileage was 82,300.

- Augusta , GA, USA

Nov 152006

S60

The contact owns a 2003 Volvo S60. While driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle began to decelerate independently to approximately 5 mph. The contact stopped the vehicle on the shoulder and shut the engine off. After restarting, the contact was able to drive normally. The vehicle was taken to the dealer three times for diagnostic testing. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The third time the vehicle was taken to the dealer, the technician replaced the ECM. The failure continued after the repair. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where the turbo was replaced but to no avail. The vehicle was not further repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 38,000.

- Reno, NV, USA

Oct 072008

S60 5-cyl

The dash information sytem will randomly go blank and display SRS and brake failure, along with all information lights blinking on and off. Also the analog gauges like the speedometer and fuel gauge will go to "0" and empty or just move eratically to any number or position while driving. At night sometimes the entire dash or information center will go black (no lights at all) and on odd occasions one headlight may go out and come back on.

- Rock Hill, SC, USA

Aug 102012

S60 5-cyl

While driving out of a parking lot and accelerating to 35 mph, entire dashboard blacked out. No speedometer, no odometer, no gas gauge, no message. Radio, windows, and air conditioning continued to work normally, as did headlights, interior lights, and turn signals. I turned off engine and then restarted car. Same symptoms. The third time I restarted car I received message on panel, SRS/airbag service urgent light comes on and stays on. I could not retrieve any other information regarding average speed, how full gas tank is, etc. I just went out to my car, which has been parked for about 21/2 hours since the incident, to get the mileage for this report and panel lights have disappeared again! I will get car to mechanic tomorrow, but I feel this is a very dangerous situation to be in, and especially with night time or high speed highway driving! my mileage is approximately 94,000 miles. I could not get a reading from my odometer as the panel is blacked out again!

- Silverdale, WA, USA

Mar 212012

S60

The entire instrument panel went dead, and will not come back to life. The tachometer, odometer, speedometer and fuel gauge are off as though the car is off. Several mechanics have quoted me $1200+ to replace the entire instrument panel. The instruments went dead while I was on the interstate and leave me without the information I need to safely drive. Volvo should recall these vehicles and replace the faulty parts, there a quite a few forums on the internet where other Volvo drivers have the same instrument failure.

- Wheat Ridge, CO, USA

Apr 222012

S60 5-cyl

Vehicle began displaying conflicting speed information, along with intermittent warning lamps. Speedometer froze at current speed during deceleration, then gauges began to flutter side to side.

- Swanton, VT, USA

Jul 012010

S60

Since about three months after I got my car in 2010 the entire dashboard system does not work. The gauges do not move or turn on whatsoever and the lights do not come on. I have looked on Volvo forums and it says that the motorolla chip in the dashboard is defective in all of the 2001-2003 models. It is rather scary in my opinion never knowing how much gas I have or how fast I am going.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Feb 102012

S60

1) electric reading of dashboard goes completely dark. Unable to determine speed, fuel, engine temperature, ect. Urgent air bag warning light went on prior to it going dark. Car skips gears and revs when gas pedal is pressed. 2) radiator cooling fan keeps running when connected even when vehicle is turned off. It never turns off until battery is drained. Replaced entire unit as well as battery and still has the same problem. Volvo repair stated they never had an issue like this and issue maybe connected to failed electrical system.

- Simi Valley, CA, USA

Dec 202011

S60 5-cyl

Car experiences loss of power, stalling, sputtering and hesitation when gas pedal is pressed down. San luis obispo smith Volvo authorized dealer could not find any codes to explain this. Checked timing sensors, fuel pressure, RPM cam signals, eth system, air flow meter, map sensor. All checked out ok, dealer said all signs point to eta failing. Car stalls and loses power abruptly, I do not feel safe driving it anymore. There is a recall for models up to 2002, this 2003 S60 non turbo manual seems to exhibit the flaws of electronic throttle failure.

- Sausalito, CA, USA

Jul 132011

S60

I am the owner of a 2003 Volvo S60, this vehicle has been a headache for some time now. The first issue started with the headlights blowing out. I have had the car since 2008 and the lights have blown out atleast 10X's. the 2nd major issue I'm having with the vehicle is the car completely shuts down without warning when making a turn or sometimes sitting idle at a red light. Of course when the car is hooked up to a diagnostic machine there are no error codes and since this issue happens without warning it never happens when a service tech is with me. Lastly, two days ago I started my vehicle and the entire dash completely blacked out. None of the gauges are operable. I cannot see whether I have fuel or not in it. I feel that the manufacturer of this vehicle should be help responsible for these issues. I have read many complaints, and there were many Volvo owners who have had the same exact problems I have been experiencing. There needs to be a re-call so that the consumers who have paid several diagnostic fees and repairs fees get reimbursed for the faulty products or parts being used to build these vehicles.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jan 032012

S60 5-cyl

My instrument cluster has been malfunctioning until it went completely blank, occasionally it will light up, this is a safety concern since unable to see speedometer or vehicle fault lights.

- Poughkeepsie, NY, USA

May 202011

S60 5-cyl

2003 Volvo S60 aw dashboard failure. I understand from talking with auto mechanics this is a common problem and is also recognized by auto electrical repair sites. This extremely dangerous with this loss of equipment.

- Bristol, CT, USA

May 152011

S60

Compliant 1: I have a 2003 S60 Volvo. The instrument panel goes dark and all instruments stop working. This includes all gauges, speedometer, RPM, fuel, temp and blinkers. They all go to zero and panel turns black and completely off. The exterior blinkers do still work. When the panel is working I receive various messages such as SRS airbag service urgent, brake failure, and stop immediately no oil pressure. I took the car to my mechanic and he said it's the driver information module which costs $1300 to replace. My mechanic also stated that this is a reoccuring problem in this car. I have done research on the internet and have found that there are many Volvo's of the same make and model in which the same exact problems are occuring. I feel that the manufacturer should be responsible for fixing this problem. It's obvious that it's a recurring problem. Compliant 2: I'm also experiencing an engine stall problem. This is very dangerous. The car will stall at least 50% of the time when making a turn. I've researched this as well and found that it's a reoccurring problem as well. Apparently the fuel pressure sensor located on the left end of the fuel rail may, at times, transmit an incorrect signal regarding the fuel pressure to the engine control module. This causes engine misfires and causes the engine to shut down completely when in middle of intersections. I have come close to many dangerous situations because of this engine failure.

- Greer, SC, USA

Apr 292011

S60 4-cyl

For several weeks I have intermittent issues with odd codes showing up on the dash board and then the car not starting. I took it in and no one could find anything wrong. This week driving home from work on the highway the car went into full shut down. (extremely dangerous !!!!) I managed to get the car to the side of the road and was able to restart a few minutes later and drove the car home with the flashers on and remaining in the right lane in case of a repeat. I was in the far left lane keeping up with rush hour traffic when the car died initially. It appears that this is a common problem with Volvo and I am hoping that something will be done as this is very dangerous.

- Pittsfield, MA, USA

Jan 122011

S60

The contact owns a 2003 Volvo S60. The contact stated that the entire instrument panel failed, including all gauges and warning lights. In addition, the contact stated that the brakes were affected by the failure. The vehicle was taken to a local repair facility where the failure was diagnosed as the instrument panel control module. The manufacturer was contact and advised that the vehicle was out of warranty therefore, they were not able to assist with the repair. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 89,000.

- Simi Valley, CA, USA

Nov 102010

S60

I have a 2003 S600 and the instrument panel goes dark and all the instruments stop working (speedometer, RPM, fuel, temp -- all go to zero). This occurs intermittently, while driving, the engine was running fine and no warning lights came on. I am also experiencing problems with indicator lights on the dashboard. As an example, the blinker lights on the dashboard only work about 20% of the time. The actual directionals on the exterior of the car are still working all of the time. The condition seems to be getting progressively worse. In addition various messages have appeared -- such as SRS airbag service urgent, brake failure - stop safely. Brought it to my mechanic and he had to replace the driver information module (dim) $1,300. He stated that he has replaced 4 dim's within the past month. Appears to be a common failure with 2003 S60 model. My mechanic also commented that in the past Volvo dealer would only have 1 dim in stock -- they now have 6 to 8 in stock. I think this should be a manufacturer expense -- no matter what the mileage is on the car. Updated 08/04/11

- Southington, CT, USA

Jan 182010

S60 5-cyl

My 2003 Volvo S60 has a seatbelt warning message. The dealer diagnosed the problem as a faulty driver information module which would cost 1400 plus tax to repair. The car is valued at approximately 4000 as a trade. There are many complaints of failure of this part even in much newer Volvo.

- Barre, MA, USA

Aug 032010

S60

2003 Volvo S60 experienced "death" of driver information module (dim), which monitors all gauges on the vehicle. Dealership is able to replace the part for $1500! it not available "after market" by another manufacturer. Research online shows this is a very common problem among 2001-2003 models. This major safety concern should be investigated, as numerous people are driving without dash panel information due to the exorbitant cost. The problem began approximately two weeks ago and cannot be remedied without buying the dim.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Dec 102008

S60

On 12 Dec, 2008, my 2003 Volvo S60 stalled with no warning while traveling on a busy highway at 60 mph. I pulled to safety (vehicle was in "limp home" mode) and had the vehicle towed to the dealership (park place Volvo). Since the vehicle started right back up and presented no codes, I was told there was nothing wrong and given a bill for $418 (for tow and diagnostic check). Approx. 1 month later, vehicle presented same problem; it stalled, without warning, while driving... creating a great safety risk for the second time. I had vehicle towed again to same dealership, and since vehicle started right back up with no codes, I was told there was nothing wrong. Dealership could not get vehicle to duplicate problem on either occasion. However, to appease me, dealership did replace accelerator pedal...vehicle still presents same stalling issue, and intermittently goes into "limp home" mode for no apparent reason. This will undoubtedly cause a serious accident, as it is obvious, from the numerous complaints on this issue, that this is a mass defect.

- Grapevine, TX, USA