2004 Volvo S60 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Volvo S60:

2004 Volvo S60 Owner Comments

Sep 082013

S60 5-cyl

I was driving 35-40 mph when a vehicle 2 cars ahead of me had to make a quick stop. I did not see this happen in time, slammed on my brakes and consequently smashed into the back of the car in front of me, who then hit the car in front of him. I totaled my car. The passenger air bag deployed and filled my car with smoke (or whatever that is) however, the driver air bag did not deploy. I was rushed to a trauma center and my injuries include my back, neck and I lost a tooth from my face hitting the steering wheel. My chest and legs are covered in bruises from the seat belt. I am very lucky, however, I do not like to think of what could have occurred if I was at a high speed and on the fwy. And the air bag did not deploy because it was defective, and perhaps it was not designed to go off in this particular incident? I hit head on, no logical reason to think the passenger airbag going off as it did, but not mine or driver side.

- Corona Del Mar, CA, USA

Aug 262008

S60

The contact owns a 2004 Volvo S60. While driving between 25-30 mph, the contact struck a deer and the vehicle flipped over. None of the air bags deployed. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The contact sustained back and neck injuries. The contact has pictures. The current and failure mileages were 41,000.

- Saylorsburg, PA, USA

Mar 212007

S60

2004 Volvo S60 2.5 turbo: No warning to the events. On numerous occasions, the car feels as if it has hit a large object, temporarily lurches and appears to momentarily stall creating a temporary loss of vehicle control. This is followed by an immediate loss of all instrument gauges, air conditioner, window controls and door locks. The fan did continue to work. The ABS warning light also indicated as well as a warning that no brakes function existed. The SRS service air bag urgent indication is illuminated. On turning the car off and restarting, the functions of the car return with exception that the SRS service air bag urgent indication remains. This problem can take months to repeat or only a matter of minutes. It seems to be more prevalent in hot weather. The vehicle was taken to the service shop at the Volvo dealer and they could only clear alarms as they said the event created too many alarms/fault codes to troubleshoot. They downloaded new software revisions to each control module in the car. After a period of approximately a month, the events began occurring again. The vehicle has been taken to non oem mechanics as well and they are not able to troubleshoot the fault. The vehicle is scheduled to be taken to the dealers service shop again. Searching the internet chat rooms and blogs, as well as this site, there appears to be numerous other vehicles with this same safety fault that stalls vehicles in traffic and creates very sudden and severe lurches in power ultimately leading to a momentary stall out with loss of all instrument indications to include speed, RPM, turn indicator, etc.

- Magnolia, TX, USA

Mar 122007

S60 5-cyl

On March 12 my Volvo S-60R was T-boned"by a large SUV ord Explorer that impacted a point near my front driver's-side wheel. The SUV impact caused major damage to the front end by totally removing the Volvo's bumper and mangling the front driver quarter panel down to the chassis. Although my car was sent spinning by the force of the collision. None of the airbags deployed at this initial impact. As my Volvo proceeded to spin clockwise across the pavement it impacted the over pass guard-rail such that the driver's side slammed into the guard-rail, pinning me in the vehicle. Only the passenger front airbag deployed on hitting the guard rail and releasing much smoke into the cabin. Even though this was an abrupt, violent impact, both when the SUV hit me, and when my car slammed into the guard rail the only component of the airbag/collision curtain system to function was the dashboard installed passenger air bag. It is important to note that there was no other person traveling in the Volvo but me. The front passenger seat and the rear seats- were empty. Within about 12 hours of the accident I wrote Volvo America to express my extreme dissatisfaction with the failure of the car's safety system.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA