2012 Volvo S60 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Volvo S60:

2012 Volvo S60 Owner Comments

Jun 252016

When the car is outdoors, in temperatures approaching 100 F, the rear (backup) camera flickers or fails altogether.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Mar 192016

Having electrical problems and software problems. In the middle of driving all electronics will go off. Also, car wont always shut down or start properly. Looked over many forums and found the exact complaints. There have been other recalls for electrical and software for the S60, but apparently they dont apply to my VIN, even though I am having the exact same issue.

- Edmond, OK, USA

May 202015

My 2012 Volvo S60 had serious engine noise brought to the shop they thought it might of been the fact that I had low oil, but I had just gotten my oil changed 12/17/14 and it was 5/27/15 now and I had not driven anywhere close to 6 thousand miles to deplete all the oil. The shop told me to really figure out what was going on they would have to take out the engine to take a look at what was making the noise. That evening I got a call from the shop again telling me that there was a serious problem. They told me because my car was dangerously low on oil in fact 3 quarts low that the engine for that fact had not gotten any oil, this in turn cased the barring and the crank shaft the be damaged so bad that they shop to me that if basically beyond repair and I would need to get a new engine. Upon researching the internet I came across a string of recalls for my car, it stated that the Volvo's software had a problem which prevented the low engine oil light from coming out and in December 2013 they started a recall. I check the website and got the number to Volvo of North America and called and was told that my car was one of the vehicles that was recalled. I was also told that they problem was fixed by a simple software update. I was also told that in their records my car was taken into Volvo and the update was applied to my car fixing the problem. I told the representative on the phone that if this was the case then it must of not worked because my car was in the shop with the exact same problem that Volvo's website described and also no "low engine oil" light ever came on.

- Ponte Vedra, FL, USA

Aug 012013

Car stalled (2 times ) while driving it. Could not steer or operate any part of the car. Once I almost got rear ended my a truck on a highway. My Volvo dealer's service department could not figure out the problem. (I recently read about the GM ignition problems and that sounds exactly like what was happening with this car).

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Aug 242013

The contact owns a 2012 Volvo S60. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, there was a loss of steering control and the rear end spun uncontrollably. The dynamic traction control failed to activate and the vehicle crashed into the curbside, causing damage to the front driver and passenger's side wheel rims. In addition, the rear driver's side rim and front bumper was damaged. There were no injuries. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnostic testing. A trouble code was detected for the SRS module. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 18,991.

- Boston, MA, USA

May 112012

S60 5-cyl

The adaptive cruise control in my vehicle has been occasionally malfunctioning (about 10-15 times since purchasing my vehicle in may) causing it to apply the parking brake at speeds of about 5 mph. This causes my vehicle to abruptly stop without the brake lights being activated. I then have to depress the brake pedal and release the parking brake. Then my cruise control is inoperative until I restart the vehicle. I was nearly rear ended after the most recent occurrence. I've taken my vehicle to the nearest Volvo repair center four times to be repaired but the malfunction still occurs. Volvo is unwilling to replace my car under the lemon law.

- York, PA, USA