NHTSA — Fuel/Propulsion System Problems

2.5

2012 Volvo S60 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Volvo S60:

2012 Volvo S60 Owner Comments

Jun 212016

S60

On April 12, 2016 I took my Volvo S-60 leased brand new from Volvo and the purchased at the end of the lease as a certified pre-owned car in for an oil change and a check oil light. Volvo had a recall on oil pressure censors (this had caused other car engines to seize something that the ntsb has reported on). The Volvo authorized dealer, herb gordon, claimed to have made this repair. However on June 21, 2016, the engine seized in the middle of a busy road. The Volvo authorized dealer determined it needed a new engine, at the time, I asked about simply applying the cost to replace the engine (about $12,000) to getting me into a new car. Volvo refused and went ahead with an engine replacement (they had my car from June 21, 2016 to August 1, 2016. The car broke down again on August 15, 2016 while my family and I were on the road for a vacation. When we returned from vacation the car was given back to us but the problem now is that the car's value has significantly diminished because of the engine replacement, the bluebook value of the car is on average $13,789 but the highest we can get for it is $8,000 because of the damage done to it by Volvo. We have tried to get Volvo to work with us by making up that difference as a trade in on a car they have in stock. We have been met with nothing but hostility and abuse. In fact earlier today we were told by a customer service representative at Volvo to shut up and then he hung up on us,

- Beltsville, MD, USA

May 202015

S60

My 2012 Volvo S60 had serious engine noise brought to the shop they thought it might of been the fact that I had low oil, but I had just gotten my oil changed 12/17/14 and it was 5/27/15 now and I had not driven anywhere close to 6 thousand miles to deplete all the oil. The shop told me to really figure out what was going on they would have to take out the engine to take a look at what was making the noise. That evening I got a call from the shop again telling me that there was a serious problem. They told me because my car was dangerously low on oil in fact 3 quarts low that the engine for that fact had not gotten any oil, this in turn cased the barring and the crank shaft the be damaged so bad that they shop to me that if basically beyond repair and I would need to get a new engine. Upon researching the internet I came across a string of recalls for my car, it stated that the Volvo's software had a problem which prevented the low engine oil light from coming out and in December 2013 they started a recall. I check the website and got the number to Volvo of North America and called and was told that my car was one of the vehicles that was recalled. I was also told that they problem was fixed by a simple software update. I was also told that in their records my car was taken into Volvo and the update was applied to my car fixing the problem. I told the representative on the phone that if this was the case then it must of not worked because my car was in the shop with the exact same problem that Volvo's website described and also no "low engine oil" light ever came on.

- Ponte Vedra, FL, USA