2012 Volvo S60 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Volvo S60:

2012 Volvo S60 Owner Comments

May 132015

The contact owned a 2012 Volvo S60. While driving approximately 40 mph, another vehicle cut in front of the contact. As a result, the contact crashed into a pole on the side of the road. The air bags did not deploy. The local police and the fire department were at the scene. A police report was filed. The contact sustained injuries that required medical attention. The vehicle was destroyed. Prior to the crash, the contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 12V075000 (electrical system) and the vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the air bag sensor may not have been impacted, hence no deployment. The VIN was not provided. The failure mileage was 29,000.

- Miami Lakes, FL, USA

Jun 012014

S60 5-cyl

On June 1st another car failed to yield the right of way and pulled into the path of my car while I was going approx. 45mph. I hit the brakes hard and turned to the left to try and avoid the car and collided with the other car. I estimate the speed of at least 35mph at impact. The right front of the car took most of the impact. The driver's side airbag deployed and burned my arm. However, despite the passenger side of the car taking the brunt of the impact, the passenger airbag did not deploy. The passenger (my fiancÉ) was diagnosed with a concussion due to this accident. I believe the concussion may have been avoided had her airbag deployed. Volvo inspected the vehicle and claims for some reason the airbag should not have deployed in this accident. I suspect they are covering up a product failure. I have pictures of the accident available for your review.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Aug 242013

S60 5-cyl

On August 24, 2013, I was involved in a car accident. A car stopped short on the highway. The car in front of me hit that car. I then hit the car in front of me. I had only a few seconds to react. Another car then re-ended me. My airbag nor seatbelt pretentioners deployed. I had difficulty turning the car off. The car was totaled. Within a few weeks of the incident, I reported the matter to Volvo. They sent an investigator out. Volvo claims that sensors were not activated since the damage was above them, and there was not any problem. However, at the speed I hit, there is no excuse for why the airbags should not have deployed. Either the car is designed improperly in terms of where the sensors are placed or there is a manufacturing defect. As I understand it, other S60S (not my vid#) have been recalled for an electrical problem that could cause airbags not to deploy.

- Southbury, CT, USA