2004 Volvo S80 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Volvo S80:

2004 Volvo S80 Owner Comments

Dec 232014

Shortly after moving to North Carolina, I began to smell fuel. I first thought that it was the gas cap and replaced it. The smell continued to grow stronger and stronger, to the point I could not keep it parked in my garage in my townhome due to the smell of gas which would permeate the entire house. I also noticed during this time a substantial loss in gas mileage. I took the car in to have it looked at. The auto shop found that the fuel pump was leaking and showed me the back of the fuel tank which was covered in gas. Due to the extreme risk, the auto shop stated that the pump needed to be replaced immediately, especially since I was about to take a 300-mile trip. The shop did find the recall: 09V483000 and called the local Volvo dealer. The dealer stated that my car was not covered by the recall. I requested that the fuel pump be given to me so that I could review the recall. I then reviewed all the documentation online, specifically the pictures of the pumps which were covered vs. The pump which was bad. My pump matches exactly to the "bad" pump. In addition, the fact that my car was leaking gas to the point of coating the outside of the fuel tank indicates that this should have been a covered incident.

- Morrisville, NC, USA

Dec 202015

Fuel smell from rear of the car, hard to start.

- Montclair, VA, USA

Jan 102016

Back in 2010 under the recall adv, I took my car in to my Volvo dealer for the recall for fuel smell and they told me it was ok. The car then had around 90.000 miles or so, now I take my car back with strong fuel smell in 2015 170.000 miles and I reported to Volvo head quarters and they tell they will cover the pump only and not the labor to tune of $550 because the car has over 150000 miles on it and is past the recall extended warrinty, but I thought under recall P29075 that Volvo is lia for free replacement of parts and labor the first time I took it in. Volvo told me it is about 4 hrs labor when there own recall calls for.09 hrs labor. So it hasn't been fixed yet. I will fix it my self to the tune of a pump (bocsh pump $155 )and my own labor.thanks for nothing Volvo I guess if I would of burnt up in this car Volvo wouldn't be lia ? my att sure thinks they would of been. Never will buy a Volvo again.

- Spokane, WA, USA

Oct 052015

There was a recall regrding fuel smell/fuel pump and/or fuel seal problem in car is not regersted in the data base for the dealer to fix the fuel pump. How do I get a dealer vocher to take of this problem.

- Daly City, CA, USA

Aug 302014

The contact owns a 2004 Volvo S80. The contact stated that while driving at 60 mph, the contact noticed a fuel odor coming from the air vents. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The contact was aware of NHTSA campaign number: 09V483000 (fuel system, gasoline) but the VIN was not included in the recall. The failure mileage was 122,000.

- Washington, DC, USA

Nov 102014

The contact owns a 2004 Volvo S80. The contact stated that fuel fumes were emitted in the cabin and around the exterior of the vehicle. After inspecting the vehicle, the contact noticed that there was fuel leak. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was exhibiting failure directly related to recall NHTSA campaign number: 09V483000 (fuel system, gasoline).the vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 105,000.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Feb 142014

The contact owns a 2004 Volvo S80. The contact stated, while driving approximately 60 mph she smelled a strong odor in the rear of the vehicle as she stopped driving. She drove the vehicle less than 5 miles to an independent mechanic who that there was a crack in the fuel pump housing flange. The manufacturer was notified and the vehicle was not repaired. The contact stated that her VIN should have been included in NHTSA campaign id number: 09V483000 and Volvo's safety recall number R220. The failure mileage was not available.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Nov 132013

S80 6-cyl

The fuel pump it cracks from the top off the fuel pump flange a gas comes from the top off the fuel pump and leak alot off gas the pump is not damage just the top off the lange off the pump it cracks and leaks gas.

- Lodi, NJ, USA