2010 Volvo S80 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Volvo S80:

2010 Volvo S80 Owner Comments

Nov 232011

S80 6-cyl

Driving on city street at about 30-35 mph. As I approached intersection I took foot off accelerator pedal and stepped on brake pedal to slow down and stop at intersection. As I stepped on brake pedal, I could hear engine start accelerating and car wouldn't stop. I noticed tach reading between 4 and 5. although engine was accelerating and vehicle was moving forward it was not moving at excessive speed. I pressed harder on brake pedal and while car slowed somewhat it would not stop. So I decided that the only way to stop vehicle was to move gear shift lever to park and then turn off engine. I then restarted car and it functioned normally. My experience might be an example of what has been called "sudden, unintended acceleration".

- Bloomfield Hills, MI, USA