1. replace transmission (1 reports)
2001 Volvo V40 transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Volvo V40:

2001 Volvo V40 Owner Comments

Oct 142003

V40

I bought a Volvo because they are supposed to be "bullet proof" but soon after the warranty period ended, the transmission failed completely. I called the factory and got a "that's really tough, lady" response and sent me back to my dealer. ("Volvo doesn't care if you are only one mile over the warranty." Yep, that's what Sam at Volvo corporate said! ) My dealer's service rep who has been with Volvo for 14 years says he's not seen a transmission fail on this model. The dealer is being great but corporate is being a pain in the ass. Good cop/bad cop? Maybe. Anyway, my rationale is if the part was so bad it failed very, very early in the life of a Volvo, Volvo should do the right thing by me regardless of the mileage. The last Volvo had over 300K miles on it when we sold it and never a hint of problem. Anyone have any ideas for dealing with corporate -- or have others had transmission problems on this model/year?

- , Madison, VA, USA