2001 Volvo XC70 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Volvo XC70:

2001 Volvo XC70 Owner Comments

Oct 132005

XC70 5-cyl

Recently while driving my elderly mother in my 2001 Volvo xc 70 from Oregon to California we had a very unpleasant experience that could have cost us our lives. All of a sudden we lost total power in 70+ mph traffic, had to sit on a very busy freeway for 2 hours in 100 degree heat (unable to run the air conditioner) unable to get out of the vehicle due to heavy truck traffic flying past us. My dear mother and I were finally rescued and towed to safety some 70 miles to the nearest Volvo dealer. There we were told that our ETM had failed. I am concerned about this very dangerous problem as I have now been told that the part that they replaced (a $1200 repair) is simply another of the same known faulty part. My ETM faild at only 50,000 miles and could have caused a major fatality. We were really lucky but what happens next time? from NHTSA web site.

- Medford, OR, USA