Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The XC90 took its “freshman 15” of transmission complaints and turned it into a “sophomore 45.” The 2004 XC90 saw 3X as many complaints about the transmission failing as it did in its inaugural North American model year! By the following year, transmission complaints fell back in line with the 2003. That sharp spike in complaints means we recommend avoiding the 2004.

On top of transmission complaints, the 2004 XC90 also has problems with a sudden loss of power. The lucky ones are met with a “reduced engine performance” message, while others are left stranded on the side of the road waiting for a tow.

2004 Volvo XC90 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Volvo XC90:

2004 Volvo XC90 Owner Comments

Oct 262014

In October 2014 myself my boyfriend and my 7 year old we're driving home when all of a sudden the car would not accelerate when I tried to push through the traffic light the vehicle then slowed down in the middle of the road their was no way of me trying to pull over bc the car completely stopped I then proceeded to get my 7 year old out the truck and her spelt belt in the back was stuck and would not come out we were almost hit from the back due to the vehicle stalling in the middle of the road in a curve we were stranded for about three hours in the dark when we were finally towed home I was told that the transmission was no good and this is the reason our vehicle stalled and was disabled.

- Jonesboro , GA, USA

Jul 102009

We purchased a 2004 Volvo xv 90 in August 2006. Last month, July of 2009, my seven year-old daughter reached for her seat belt in third row of the vehicle and announced it was broken. Nothing unusual happened to the vehicle to cause this. Our mechanic, habeggar auto in milwaukee, Wisconsin, informed us this seat belt was a recalled item and advised I contact Volvo immediately to have it fixed. The mechanic also told me the information he got from alldate online indicated that seat belt was already fixed but failed again. When I called Volvo customer care at 1-800-458-1552 I was told I needed to go to a certified Volvo dealer. I then took it to jenkins Volvo in milwaukee, Wisconsin. They verified the fact that it was a recalled item. But when they contacted Volvo they were told Volvo would not cover the repair ($171) or the inspection of the other seat belts that were also recalled. I have emailed Volvo customer care asking them to please reconsider. This is a terrible situation. Children are at risk because an adult would rarely sit in the third row. We purchased a Volvo for its safety features and they won't even pay for their mistake? although the dollar amount to fix the one seat belt isn't huge, I don't trust the other seat belts. The recall was on the seat belts in second and third row. I want them inspected. We have a seven year-old and four year-old and often Transport their friends. I will not put them at risk.

- Glendale, WI, USA