2006 Volvo XC90 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Volvo XC90:

2006 Volvo XC90 Owner Comments

Feb 152015

The contact owns a 2006 Volvo XC90. While driving 55 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to restart. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed, but the cause of the failure was not found. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 115,000.

- Bowie, MD, USA

Feb 212015

XC90 5-cyl

Without any warning, the motor suddenly dropped from 60-65 mph to 35-40 and would not accelerate beyond this- I got a warning message after this happened "reduced engine performance". research on this later told me that this was "limp mode." I was on an expressway and other vehicles around me, including many large semi trucks, were driving at high speeds. Fortunately, I had just come out of a toll plaza and was in the right lane so I was able to get out of the way quickly enough to avoid a collision. I had to have the car towed since it was not safe to continue to drive at such a slow speed and I was far from a suitable exit. My repair shop identified a problem with the throttle body and the PCV (valve) I see on research of earlier models of this car that there had been an "warranty extension" for this very problem. My car apparently was not included on this extension, but I find it suspect that I had the same problem. There may not be that many reports of problems like this with my particular model year because a large number of the 2006 Xc90S had early transmission failures and are no longer being used.

- La Porte, IN, USA

May 282012

XC90 8-cyl

Balance shaft failure requiring new engine.

- Daphne, AL, USA