2016 Volvo XC90 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Volvo XC90:

2016 Volvo XC90 Owner Comments

Oct 262016

XC90

On approximately six different occasions, the collision avoidance system has been triggered erroneously, when no other vehicles were near my car, to the point that the audible and visual alarms were triggered, my driver's seatbelt pulled me back against the driver's seat, two of those times the car swerved itself and another two of those times the car braked itself, without any prompting from the driver to do so. The dealership told me today that because the system works on radar that sometimes this will happen. I believe that these systems need to be practically error proof because if the car brakes itself, or swerves itself, without any action from the driver it could potentially *cause* an accident. Not to mention that it's very scary when it happens and then there has to be some emotional recovery as a driver to overcome these episodes. The car has about 1000 miles on it. All of these incidents happened on city streets, while the car was going anywhere from 25-45 mph.

- Alhambra, CA, USA

Oct 152016

XC90

At least three times now the automatic braking system has applied without any object or vehicle in front. Once was on the I95 at 65mph going under a bridge the brake suddenly applied causing the car to dip and passengers to be shaken, then it continued as normal. Another time on the I78 near newark airport at 50mph passing some parked cars on the shoulder the brakes applied. Another time in local traffic at 30mph the brakes applied possibly when there was a slight dip in the road. The car has been looked at a couple of times and had a software update, but it still does it. It has now been in the shop for two weeks with no result Volvo suggested it was ezpass and we could wrap the ezpass in foil (and what, unwrap it for each toll booth!). this is a frightening safety issue because if we had been tailgated a car would have hit us.

- Bernardsville, NJ, USA

Sep 202016

XC90

The "auto braking" function related to the passive collision avoidance activates with no other object in the automobiles path. It has activated 6 times in the past 4 months. The car went into the dealership in September 2016 and they said they could not replicate the incident (not surprising as it happens on a "random" basis. In the past 10 days it activated 3 times. It was taken to the dealership on 9/30/16 and is still there. I also have a colleague with the same vehicle (inscription trim package) and they are experiencing the same random "auto brake" activity. It has done it at low speed and medium speeds in residential areas, as well as at 60 mph on the freeway. It has activated while going straight, going down a hill with no visible car or object in site, and while turning. Very concerning and it is an immediate safety hazard.

- Sammamish, WA, USA

Feb 232016

XC90

While driving on a city street I put the car in eco mode. The car was moving at the time. I noticed that the car seemed to be driving loudly. As I turned left, I saw the car was in manual mode and was in first gear. So I took my foot off of the brake to slow down the car and try to put it into drive. As I tried to move the gear shifter, the car came to a complete, sudden stop. It felt like all four wheels were suddenly and immediately locked. I could not move them, even as I hit the gas. I did not see any indication on the dashboard that the emergency brake had been activated. I had not fiddled in any way with the button that allows me to change to eco mode or with the parking brake. In the moment immediately preceding the stop, I had my left hand on the steering wheel and my right hand on the gear shifter. The person behind me rear-ended me. The damage to my car was minimal. I had been the first person in the line to turn left, so there was no one in front of me. I am not sure how I was able to get the car started again. I think I turned the stop/start button a couple of times. I later attempted to recreate the automatic stop. Before making a left turn, I put the car into eco mode. As I turned, I slowly released the gas and slowly braked. The car again came to an immediate stop, as though all 4 wheels were locked at the same time. When then happened, I managed to get the car going again, and the next time I put my foot on the brake, the car came to a screeching halt again. I have not been able to recreate this scenario since then, including while trying to drive the car with a dealer rep. The dealer had a technician come in from ky, and he was not able to find any problems.

- Solon, OH, USA

Sep 252015

XC90

The contact owns a 2016 Volvo XC90. While driving approximately 50 mph, the brakes independently engaged without warning and slowed the vehicle down to approximately 5 mph. The city safety warning indicator illuminated after the brakes independently engaged. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 1,200....updated 12/03/15

- Driftwood, TX, USA