2016 Volvo XC90 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Volvo XC90:

2016 Volvo XC90 Owner Comments

Feb 232016

While driving on a city street I put the car in eco mode. The car was moving at the time. I noticed that the car seemed to be driving loudly. As I turned left, I saw the car was in manual mode and was in first gear. So I took my foot off of the brake to slow down the car and try to put it into drive. As I tried to move the gear shifter, the car came to a complete, sudden stop. It felt like all four wheels were suddenly and immediately locked. I could not move them, even as I hit the gas. I did not see any indication on the dashboard that the emergency brake had been activated. I had not fiddled in any way with the button that allows me to change to eco mode or with the parking brake. In the moment immediately preceding the stop, I had my left hand on the steering wheel and my right hand on the gear shifter. The person behind me rear-ended me. The damage to my car was minimal. I had been the first person in the line to turn left, so there was no one in front of me. I am not sure how I was able to get the car started again. I think I turned the stop/start button a couple of times. I later attempted to recreate the automatic stop. Before making a left turn, I put the car into eco mode. As I turned, I slowly released the gas and slowly braked. The car again came to an immediate stop, as though all 4 wheels were locked at the same time. When then happened, I managed to get the car going again, and the next time I put my foot on the brake, the car came to a screeching halt again. I have not been able to recreate this scenario since then, including while trying to drive the car with a dealer rep. The dealer had a technician come in from ky, and he was not able to find any problems.

- Solon, OH, USA

Sep 252015

The contact owns a 2016 Volvo XC90. While driving approximately 50 mph, the brakes independently engaged without warning and slowed the vehicle down to approximately 5 mph. The city safety warning indicator illuminated after the brakes independently engaged. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 1,200....updated 12/03/15

- Driftwood, TX, USA