ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2.6

2004 Acura MDX brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Acura MDX:

2004 Acura MDX Owner Comments

Apr 292018

MDX

Inadvertent braking, especially without illumination of the brake lights. After the braking due alone, the vsa light will be on. This is the exactly same problem as the recall Acura has made to Acura MDX 2005/2006 (the name of this recall is: Vsa ECU malfunction. This problems happen like 2 time in the city streets, whit my hole family in the SUV for me.know I have to put the hole pedal down and just have any break.

- Reading, PA, USA

Jul 122016

MDX

The contact owns a 2004 Acura MDX. While driving approximately 35 mph and making a right turn, there was a clunking noise coming from the engine. The vsa warning indicator illuminated, the brakes applied independently, and the vehicle stopped. The contact had to depress the accelerator pedal to continue driving the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the stability assist system failed and needed to be replaced. The independent mechanic replaced the brake pads, discs, calipers, and fluid; however, the failure recurred. The independent mechanic informed the contact of NHTSA campaign number: 13V092000 (service brakes, hydraulic, traction control system) and to contact the dealer. The dealer was not contacted. The contact called the manufacturer and was informed that the VIN was not included in the recall. The approximate failure mileage was 41,179.

- Rockville, MD, USA

Jan 222016

MDX

Was driving car an the brakes locked up lights came on, vsa ABS ect. Had to park car as if brakes were stuck. Did not want brakes heating up causing accident

- Dubuque, IA, USA

Nov 012014

MDX 6-cyl

While driving, my car's anti-lock brakes engage and my vsa idiot light goes on simutaneously without any warning. I am not trying to brake when this happens. It does it all by itself every time I drive the car now. Speed doesn't matter. I am worried I can not maintain control on icy roads.

- Herndon, VA, USA

Feb 012010

MDX

Since about February 2010 the vehicle stability assist system will randomly activate during periods of prolonged highway driving. This condition usually happens on dry pavement and without warning. It feels like only the drivers side front brake is applied and the vehicle swerves to the right uncontrollably. The condition has nearly caused me to crash multiple times and is very frightening. I have had the Acura dealer troubleshoot the problem many times with no results. The most recent time this happened was early December 2013. I immediately dropped the vehicle off at an Acura dealer and the vehicle was diagnosed with a faulty lateral acceleration sensor. Unfortunately this part is not available at this time and is on indefinite backorder. This is a serious safety issue that has nearly caused harm to myself and other vehicles due to my out of control vehicle. I am now without transportation until Acura is able to get the part back in stock. Acura of America has refused to even log and file my complaint let alone assist me with this safety issue and hardship.

- Encinitas, CA, USA