6.6

2000 Chevrolet Malibu AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Chevrolet Malibu:

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

May 252010

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2000 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the engine stalled intermittently. The failure occurred on twelve occasions. The dealer stated that the ignition switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000. Updated 01/28/15 air conditioner and heater wouldnot come on. Updated 08/28/2017

- Arlington, TX, USA

Jul 062004

Malibu

We unfortunately own a 2000 Chevy Malibu. We have already replaced the rotors several times for going out of round. We have also replaced the fuel pump at less then 50,000 miles at the cost of $728. The air conditioner pops on and off on its own not cooling for the most part. The turn signals are nonfunctional and our VIN number is not included in the recall although it should be. Then there is the transmission slipping and the coolant leaking and the car overheating we are told this is a manifold intake gasket and will cost around $800 to fix. The newest problem is the factory installed radio tuner is burned out and now we have to replace the radio costing yet another $100 dollars or so this car has nickel and dimed us too much. After looking over your site I found these to be numerous complaints on the same year and model. I feel this car was a lemon across the board not just ours but, all 2000 Malibu's. please look into these cars on a whole they were very badly manufactured and we all deserve some compensation for it.

- Middleburg, FL, USA

Nov 022003

Malibu 6-cyl

Intermittently when the brake pedal was applied, the brakes grabbed so hard that the entire vehicle vibrated severely. When this occurred, the vehicle failed to stop immediately. This resulted in extended stopping distance. The brake rotors warped. On one occasion this failure caused lost of control, in which the consumer almost crashed into an 18 wheeler, but was able to pull over to the medium. The dealership has acknowledged that there was a problem with the braking system, but was unable to correct the problem, and was now refusing to work on the vehicle. There was a rattle under the hood at the firewall area while the vehicle was in motion, the hose assembly was found rubbing under the vehicle, both front rotors had wore thin, the fuel pump sender did not hold the correct amount of fuel pressure, there was an open circuit in the 24X crank sensor, there was a rattle in the front suspension due to weak front lower control arms which were noisy (the right lower control arm was replaced), the coolant level sensor shorted, the water pump assembly leaked coolant, there was a vibration at highway speeds, hardware was bad and was loose in the caliper, rotor pulsation which was replaced per bulletin, the turn signal was inoperative, and the A/C had internal damage and would cut on and off.

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 042003

Malibu 6-cyl

Independent shop replaced the intake manifold at owner expense of $800. Dollars and has had problems with the air conditioner. Dealer notified.

- Elmwood Park, IL, USA

Jul 292003

Malibu 6-cyl

Air conditioner switch turns on and off. Vibration in front end when braking. Turn signals work intermitently. Ticking noise in engine until warm. Windows fog excessively. Shame on Chevrolet.

- Fort Walton Beach, FL, USA

Jan 012001

Malibu 6-cyl

Hazard and signal lights malfunctions engine noise (constant squeaking or ticking) air conditioning malfunctions.

- Union Springs, AL, USA

Mar 162003

Malibu

I bought my Chevy Malibu 02/01 and I have 39,000 miles and already I had problems with the air condition switch. The ac settings change on their own as you are driving the car. This causes the compressor to turn on and off, eventually causing premature compressor failure. My brakes were squeaking so I went to just brakes to get them changed and it cost $636. I had to have a four wheel friction reline, disc pads rf and lf, brake shoes relined rr and lr, rotors were new (could not cut) machine rf lf, drum machine rr lr, wheel cylinders new rr lr, bleed, flush, fill and adjust brake system, etc. I went to the dealer and they said "because I did not bring the vehicle to them, to get serviced there was nothing they could do about it because they did not look at the material." Even though I had the material for them to look at. So I guess I have to eat the $700 just because of their defective material.

- Palm Harbor, FL, USA

Jul 312001

Malibu

Ac automatically turns itself off switch replaces. Whining sound occurs during ac/heat fan operation fan motor replaced. Ac/heat directional controls work intermittently problem continues. Transmission slipping upon slow acceleration reported 3 times 1st & 2nd times couldn't duplicate problem 3rd time in shop 30 days replaced multiple components. Engine misfiring diagnostics indicated 3,6,2,5 cylinders misfiring replaced all ignition coil packs problem continues. Turn signal buzzes and clicks hazard switch replaced. Air leak around passenger side door reported 2 times 1st time couldn't duplicate 2nd time door realigned. Brakes cause excessive vibrations upon stopping rotors and pads replaced at 24000 miles reoccuring at 38000 miles.

- Jefferson, GA, USA

Feb 252000

Malibu

The brakes don't stop properly. The brakes have been changed 3 times. The rotors have been turned once and changed once. The blinkers don't work 95% of the time and the emergency flashers never work properly. The ac settings change on their own as you are driving the car. This causes the compressor to turn on and off, eventually causing premature compressor failure. The vehicle has died 4 times as we were driving down the road, once almost getting us killed as we were turning in front of a truck. Also, the brakes have almost caused us to be in a wreck. We have almost been rear ended because of the turn signal failure. The manufacturer and the dealership has had many times to fix this vehicle with no success. To this point, we have not been involved in a motor vehicle accident. However, is it going to take me or my family being killed to get something done with this vehicle?

- Tyler, TX, USA

Jan 152001

Malibu

Vehicle would jump when trying to stop. Rotors were warped. Consumer had to put on 5 sets of rotors since Jan 2001. Contacted dealer who wanted consumer to extend warranty. The consumer stated that the front rotors are warped causing brake pulsation. The A/C does not flow out of the correct vents due to A/C control failure, the A/C control head also shorted out. The door was hard to open and close due to the lock being misaligned. Engine makes a clunk noise. While driving the vehicle surges. Left rear speaker shorted out. There is a clicking noise coming from the front when turning, consumer later stated that there was a chirping noise coming from the steering column.

- Pearl River, LA, USA

Oct 012000

Malibu

3 months after I bought Malibu in July, 2000 I was driving at 65 mph when my care lost all power. Dealer told me that there was something wrong with the fuel indicator wiring and was falsely reading the amount of gas I had which resulted in my running out of gas at 65mph. Problem has not repeated itself. At 21,000 miles my signal indicator lights failed and my hazard switch had to be replaced. At 23,000 miles my evaporator vent valve had to be replace (engine light remained on constantly). At 20,000 miles my car was vibrating whenever my brakes were applied. Dealor said front brakes worn out and rotors out of round and they replaced the front brakes and refaced the rotors. At 33,000 miles, care again vitrated whenver brakes applied and dealer told me again that it was not under warranty and was happening because of "hot spots" and that my rotors needed to be cut even though they had just been fixed at 20,000 miles. Was never told that manufacturer was having a problem with Malibu brakes and was told it would cost approxiamtely $700 to fix rotors and it was my responsibility. My sevice for the brakes was done at future Chevrolet in old bridge, NJ.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Jul 192001

Malibu

Ticking sound at startup that Chevrolet won't fix. No summary listed for above vehicle.

- Warrior, AL, USA

May 012000

Malibu

Brakes on vehicle have been replaced three times in past year. Contacted dealer, and there was not much dealer could do. Also, gas guage failed twice. The passenger seat recliner was damaged. The electric out let broke and A/C heating system failed.

- Yonkers, NY, USA

May 032001

Malibu

While driving about any mph and then when turning on turn signal light steering wheel will make a buzz noise. Consumer states steering wheel shakes when brakes are applied, vehicle was taken into dealershop 2 months after purchase, air conditioning would only blow on floor, control panel was replaced.

- Splendora, TX, USA

May 122000

Malibu

A/C control head failed causing the A/C to blow hot air. Nlm

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 012001

Malibu

Faulty air conditioning system caused water to leak into the floorboard of the vehicle. Nlm

- Conway, AR, USA